Tools - what are the essentials ?

Started by jobead, April 13, 2009, 08:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobead

Thanks Emma, haven't tried a bead press yet though I think that might be my next purchase after the kit to move to bulk.

Thanks Pat teaspoon sound interesting and cheap, if I make anything worth showing off I might try to post it here (another skill to master!)

:) :)
Jo

Paul_S

My girlfriend is a reader of this site and I'm hoping she doesn't see this post!  She's been lampworking for a few months now and is really keen so I'm looking for a few bits and pieces to get her for Christmas.  This thread has come the closest to giving me an idea what to get but I'm hoping someone might be able to make specific recommendations on a few things.

As far as I know she doesn't have a Marver, is there any benefit to getting one of the 'TPT' tools from Tuffnells (http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d89.html) which has various top plates that can attach or is this not really necessary?  If not is an L shaped graphite one a good place to start?

Beadysam's website doesn't seem to be working but I was hoping to get the 'Pushy Pokey Proddy Tools', are the Whimzishapers on Tufnells as good or could anyone recommend anything similar?

From what I've read some people like mashers and others don't are these worth looking at or this this something she may well not use, I only want to buy things she'll almost certainly make use of.

Same question again for bead presses, are these a good investment for someone new to making beads?

Many thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Paul

jobead

I have the Whimzishapers from Tuffnells and they are very useful. I think BeadySam is taking a break for a while so that is probably why the website isn't working.

I use a hothead and have recently bought a hothead graphite marver (which attaches) this has opened up all sorts of new bead shapes and I find a use it a lot. I also have a small brass lentil press which is good and a lovely little item to have.

I suppose it all depends what she likes to do best, and everyone always likes more glass !!
Hope that helps a bit.

:)
Jo

Paul_S

Thanks very much Jo, really appreciate the advice. 

Trudi

If you're going for the TPT marver this fits ontop of the torch as a base and you get other bits (either shapes or plain marver) to sti on top. The idea is that it's easy and quick to interchange the tops!

So if you buy this - you won't need another torch mounted marver!

llewennog

Torch mounter marver is nice but not essential, I use a lot of 'clay' sculpting tools as they are cheap and have a varitey of shapes that are useful, I have 2 marble marvers,couple of bead presses, a paddle, something to poke stuff around with, something to help an edge, I have lots of tools for boro working like 'hot' fingers, blowpipe kit, graphite V necking tool, an Iso graphite tool(lay stringers onto it,, push into tube, hey presto instant sleved Iso).

Actually does anyone know where I can get a non clamp type marver for my Lynx its too pretty to scratch with a nasty jubilee clip!

Lush!

How about a lampworking lesson? 

Makes a great present ... you could ask the tutor to send a "gift voucher" to pop in an envelope for your girlfriend  ;)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com