safety pickle

Started by mindy23, March 23, 2009, 07:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindy23

Hi there

does anyone have the mixing inxtructions for safety pickle? I have managed to lose mine, again.  why it isnt printed on the pot I'll never know, or why I havnt just written on the pot is also a mystery!  Cant find any info on it anywhere and have lots of things needing done.

Many thanks

Mindyx

It could be much worse, but... it could also be much, much better...

GlassOcean

Can't help you Mindy but I need to know this too!  Good question!!

mizgeorge

Are you using Alum Mindy?

If so, I reckon on about two heaped teaspoons (or 10p piece sized chunks if its not powdered) in about half a pint of hot water. I keep mine in a slow cooker and it lasts for ages, but I do top it up with a random amount of alum and water as needed!

mizgeorge

Just when I'm using it Sam - I turn on the slow cooker about fifteen minutes before I need to use it (it takes me at least that long to get set up anyway). You can buy alum as safety pickle from lots of jewellers supply places (and even ebay), or if you have an independent chemist (or access to a hospital pharmacy!) they should be able to get it for you as well. If all else fails, some gents toiletries places (like smart barbers supply shops) sell it in blocks. It's often cheaper this way.

And yes, it's pickle for the acid-phobic!

mindy23

Oh dear, I'm not 100% sure it is George.  It just says safety pickle and is a white granular sort of powder.  Not very helpful am I!
Thanks for responding though, I am just sorry that I cant tell you anymore specific info on what it is  I have.  :(

theflyingbedstead

The safety pickle I have is from Sutton Tools (product code ACO46), which I believe has a sulphuric acid base but is safe when dry.

The instructions read "Directions for mixing and using safety pickle - 1/2 kg powder to 1/2 gal water. Heat water 50 - 70 degrees C  in containerr capable of resisting acids (chemcal glass, polypropylene) and add powder, stir with wooden spoon or spatula.  Solution can be used cold, but better results will be obtained if pickle is used warm."

Is this of any help?
Charlotte x

theflyingbedstead

Sorry Mindy, just missed your post whilst I was typing!  The stuff I have is also small white roundish granules.
Charlotte x

theflyingbedstead

Just had a thought...in case you don't have a pickle pot the size of a demijohn, a gallon (UK) is approx. 4.55 litres, so, if your pickle pot holds half a litre then you will need approx. 110g of the sort of pickle powder I have.    Now I can sleep easy  :)

Apart from wanting to know more about this alum stuff. 
Charlotte x

mindy23

Hello again

Well, TOny went to the shop where we buy it today and got another instruction sheet.  When we got it home would you belive that the man has only given us the sheet with the info on the powder but has missed out the part on how to mix it!  However, I now know that it is sodium hydrogen sulphate ( not sulphite, apparently thats importnat)

Now, heres the big money question!  Does anyone else have this particular type of pickling solution?  if so, what are the instructions!  i am starting to lose my mind with this one.  Have so much work to do too!

mindy23

Hi Charlotte

My husband has just come and read your posts and your numbers seem familiar to him!!!!!!!!!!! HALLELUJAH!!  THank you soooooo much for that.  I feel like my head is about to burst but now there is al ight at the end of this particular tunnel!  Your other calculation is perfect for my slow cooker crosk pot thingy too so we didnt even have to do that ourselves.  Now i feel very lazy and guilty that you done all the hard work
But, thank you all for helping.  What is this allum stuff then i wonder?

mizgeorge

sodium bisulfate  (which is what you have) is often sold as sparex. It's used as a swimming pool chemical (as is another option called ph down). Interestingly, it's also the main ingredient in Harpic ;)

For anyone new to this, always add the powder to the water, and never let it boil (it gives off toxic fumes).

Alum, which works almost just as well as an acid based pickle (just not quite as fast) is much, much safer! It's used in vaccines, as an astrigent, is what styptic pencils are made of, and is cheap!

Otherwise, you can use warm white vinegar with some salt, citric acid, or cillit bang!

theflyingbedstead

Hi Mindy, I am glad to be of help.  I needed to work out the right mix myself as my pickle pot needs replenishing.

George - thank you so much for all of that info.  I'll be trying alum when I run out of safety pickle.
It is interesting that these chemicals are pretty easy to get hold of..a chemist friend of my husband was horrified at some of the stuff I have.  The hydrofluoric acid scared him the most, and I didn't need a license to get it, unlike the IMS which I had to get customs approval to buy. 
Charlotte x

mindy23

Thanks George, that info is great to have.  These chemicals are often sold to us with very little information which i feel is sometimes intentional in case of any comeback.  I will most definately be trying allum next time round.  I use a slow cooker for pickling and it has a keep warm faeture which seems to keep the liquid at a good temp with no boiling or simmering or anything along those lines and it works very well.  But, I am always looking for safer ways to work as it does worry me from time to time about the whole range of things I expose myself to between the silver work and the lampwork. 

Thanks again  ;D

silverlemon

Hi, I use Alum, it needs to be used in the crock pot as it works really well when hot, and it's important that you use it diluted, rather than concentrated as it can get over time. i.e. keep diluting it as the water evaporates off over time. If you use it too concentrated you get a nasty greyness to your silver that can only be got rid of using abrasion.
HTH
Bionic Sarah xxx    Sarah Downton On Facebook  My Etsy Shop