Apparently you CAN blow glass in a fusing kiln.....

Started by Zeldazog, March 11, 2009, 11:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

Our Uni used to run a degree course in applied crafts .... pretty heavily glass orientated.... I was gutted that by the time I was in a position to consider applying, the course had been abandoned in favour of yet more business courses :(

Zeldazog

Quote from: Les on March 12, 2009, 09:14:05 PM
Our Uni used to run a degree course in applied crafts .... pretty heavily glass orientated.... I was gutted that by the time I was in a position to consider applying, the course had been abandoned in favour of yet more business courses :(

Ours is a dying course too - apparently we are one of the very few courses country possibly Europe wide with such a strong emphasis on sustainability and traditional methods.

But this year's first year intake was the last one - I think it's changing to Applied Arts, with more emphasis on computer based work, not sure.

Out Uni is also in favour of any course that doesn't actually cost much to run - you know, one that only requires rooms and lecturer and a computer projector - not one that needs equipment, space and technicians.

There isn't actually much emphasis on glass - I almost certainly know more than the tutors!  But they do let me play  :P

Historically, it was fab for Ceramics, but they're trying to squaeeze that out too - that will be another dying art in this country!