Comparing notes on postage policy anyone?

Started by Josephine, March 02, 2009, 02:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephine

Signed for doesn't cover jewellery either, but I think if a pair of earrings went missing I would be tempted to say that it was beads rather than jewellery!

squirsygirl

Quote from: theflyingbedstead on March 04, 2009, 05:50:15 PM
QuoteI've just come back from my post office.  It's in a big town, so they should know what they're doing.  I tried to send my buddy a few pieces of jewellery for her birthday, some toffee, and some clothes for the kids.

She lives in Germany with HM Forces, so it's a BFPO address ( British Forces Post Office)

The whole parcel is worth about £200, so naturally I want it insured for the whole journey - me to her, door to door.

The PO have just told me there's no way to do it.  I can send it Special Delivery, but the insurance will stop the minute it leaves the UK.  I asked them, what if it get's lost or damaged - there's no way of knowing where that happend, so who would I claim from?  And can you guess what the reply was?  'Oh you're right,  the Post Office would ever admit to it being their fault.'  So I asked if the extra money for the SD was a waste, and she admitted - 'well, when you put it that way, I suppose it it's money for nothing, isn't it?'

Parcel force won't pay out for a parcel containing jewellery, and I'm just not prepared to trust it 'regular' post.

The only way is to send it to her private German address, insured, at at least twice the cost.

That's odd because the Royal Mail website does mention special delivery & compensation for HM Forces post - here is the link I found http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400038&mediaId=400164
I have made a claim for a similar amount for a special delivery item which arrived broken (not to a BFPO address though) and after about 4 weeks I got a cheque for the full amount.   I have sent hundreds of items by post and and have only lost a couple (that went abroad), so I have found the postal service is pretty good, and better than many couriers.  Strange that there is such a discrepancy between our experiences !

Well, here's the ridiculous thing - I USED TO WORK FOR BFPO!  So I know that it can, and should be done.  (Thanks for the link I'll go to it in a mo, and print it out for them.)

I had to pop out and pick up my daughter from work, and naturally the most important thing I could do in the 5 mins before I had to go back out again was log in to FHF! 

I know it's a small thing in the great scheme of things, but I just wish people could do their job.  See, now I'm really whinging - just ignore me, I've had a long day, and I'm really tired.  Off to bed with a cuppa, me thinks....

Kirsty

Dee Dee

Interesting topic (I love topics like this - gets me thinking! :D)

I was wondering what the ladies (or possibly gents) who include postage in their bead price do when it comes to an international order - say to Australia?

Postage from Oz to the UK for a small parcel (thicker than 20mm - that going through the slot thing again) is over $10 - (£5) - that would be a lot to absorb?

Kaz

I ask overseas customers to contact me for a price and I would then find out how much it would be. Most of my overseas customers come through etsy where I charge a one-off of $2 US as a way to offset the higher postage cost.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Lush!

I don't charge postage on UK orders (I don't actually build the price into the beads, I just keep my posting and packing costs as low as I can and swallow it) but I do charge for overseas postage - my website adds it on automatically - £1.50 for Europe and £2.50 for US/Australia etc. 

This is not only to cover the cost of airmail but also cos it means I can't simply pop a little envelope in the nearest post box while I'm out with the dog - I have to actually go to the post office!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com