Comparing notes on postage policy anyone?

Started by Josephine, March 02, 2009, 02:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephine

I'm trying to decide what to do about my postage policy on my website, I'm about to set up and Etsy shop so it seemed like a good time to get it sorted.

At the moment I charge £1 per item, and send out smaller orders 1st class signed for which is costing me £2.17 ( i used to get away with a bit less until my postmaster changed and the new one said that packages have to drop through the slot not be pushed. Bigger orders, over £36 I send Special Delivery which costs over £5.

I can't decide whether to just charge £2 an order so that I am covering the cost on smaller orders and then cover the extra cost myself on bigger orders or just put up the price of beads a bit and offer free postage however much people order. I feel that £2 could put people off ordering a mini set or focal unless they wanted something else too.

I was just reading through Emma's post about claiming from Royal Mail which seemed to say the ordinary 1st class is just as good as signed for ie covers you up to £36 if you have a certificate of postage. Does any one else use signed for or do you all just go with ordinary 1st class.

I have never had anything I sent out go missing. I did get a phone call today saying that a focal I had posted had arrived broken, the box was rather bashed apparently!

Any comments or insight gratefully recieved.

Pam

Hi Josephine
I personally (as a shopper) hate add on charges, I like to tot up as I go what I am spending but like VAT postage always seems like more money and nothing to show for it. Consequently I absorb the postage costs in the cost of my beads etc.
Ebay is a bit different in my opinion. I look at the postage before buying especially if its a multibuy.

Josephine

Thanks Pam, I think that is the way I will probably go. Anything that puts people off buying is a minus and though we all know costs are absorbed somewhere along the line we all like to think we are getting  a bargain don't we.

Lush!

As you've already said, compensation is the same whether you choose ordinary post with proof or signed for - and a lot of people aren't always home to sign for packages so the obligatory trek to the sorting office can be a real nuisance when its not exactly worth anything anyway.

I don't charge for p&p, but I do keep my costs as low as possible.  I wrap beads in recycled tissue and bubble wrap (thank you Tuffnells!) and only use signed for or special delivery on really valuable packages.

I haven't lost any beads yet!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Ian Pearson

I find by using the term, " postage and packing" when invoicing gives a more accuate picture of what has to be done before sending glass. I always use plain 1st class, surface or air mail as directed by customer wishes and in 19 years had about 2 - 3 items broken and maybe 2 lost. Post about three items a month, not  alot granted but some large things take  a while to pack using polychips, bubblewarp and tissue. Min charge is about £5 P and P

Ian

theflyingbedstead

I have noticed that many beadmakers include P&P costs within the price of their beads, and this has encouraged me when buying beads!
But, what if there is a problem that is the buyer's fault - for example, they decide that they don't want the beads after all and return them for a refund...it may be difficult for a seller to deduct the cost of P&P in the refund, without mentioning such a clause in their selling/postage policy.
Charlotte x

garishglobes

I charge p&p. I used not to, but I think it is clearer all round - the costs are there, and I do have a flat rate so in effect any extra p&p gets absorbed on higher purchases.
I have to say that recorded is really just for peace of mind. It doesn't add extra security, tracking, speed or compensation as far as I can see. All it does is mean that you can tell that the beads have got there. I do use it, but I'm not honestly sure why. Ever since I found a recorded envelope bunged in between several posting bags in our account mailbag pile from the RM (it had been there a good month, from the date on the label  :o) , I've not really thought much of it as a service.

Trudi

I'd rather pay the P&P - that's clearly defined rather than pay more for the beads - if the buyer is buying more beads then they could be paying over the odds for extra you've included!! But I do expect to only pay a reasonable amount. (I dislike Ebay sellers who don't offer a multi buy discount - espeacially if you pay on 1 consolidated invoice!)

Kaz

I include P&P in my bead prices (which hopefully customers find quite reasonable anyway :-\). I send beads out in pink boxes from the Tiny Box Company. If customers buy one set or one focal, I am out of pocket on the deal. If they buy two or three it usually works out about right. If they buy more than 3, I would tend to throw in a couple of extra beads to compensate, even though I have not explicitly taken any postage charge from them. I really find P&P offputting. If I want to buy just one bead and the P&P is £1.50 or higher, I tend not to buy it (how mean can you get ???). I hate it on ebay when sellers charge an extra 20p per item, when the items you are buying may only be a pound or two because as a % of the item cost, it is a lot! I don't send signed for unless it is over £35. I have had 2 lots of beads go missing - one I refunded and it turned up 3 months later - the customer let me know and so I told her to keep them for her honesty. The other set, the customer said she was prepared to wait to see if they turned up and they did - 10 weeks later!!!
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

lesley

When buying beads I don't mind which way you do the P&P just as long as it's clear from the outset - I don't like nasty surprises. ;D

I'm mulling this over at the moment. I'm going to use Special Delivery for items over £36, but not sure whether to bump up the price or charge £4-£5 P&P.
I think if you use something like Special Delivery but explain why (insurance and traceability) people will understand and not think you're trying to squeeze a bit extra out of them - I hope so anyway. :) 

Kaz

I think the problem is that from a customer perspective, why should you pay up to £5.00 because the British postal system may be unreliable? My view is that the onus is on the seller (and I am one!) to ensure that the goods get to you and you should not have to pay over the odds for this "privilege"! If someone asked me to pay £4-5 for postage on an item that was tiny but cost marginally over £36, I simply would not buy!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Chameleon

I charge p&p, i charge £2 upto £50 worth of order which goes signed for and the postage usually works out at over £2. For orders over £50 I send special delivery unless the customer requests otherwise and charge what it costs me. I do try to make sure that i have really nice packaging for orders and keep a plentiful supply of coordinated ribbons & tissue paper and nice boxes  ;D

turnedlight

I charge p+p, and then refund any excess they may have paid. I have been thinking about whether to bother with signed for or not..
kathryn

lesley

Quote from: Kaz on March 02, 2009, 06:16:33 PM
I think the problem is that from a customer perspective, why should you pay up to £5.00 because the British postal system may be unreliable? My view is that the onus is on the seller (and I am one!) to ensure that the goods get to you and you should not have to pay over the odds for this "privilege"! If someone asked me to pay £4-5 for postage on an item that was tiny but cost marginally over £36, I simply would not buy!
Kazx

Yes, I can see how it won't work for items marginally over, but for £50+ of jewellery I think it's worth it. You're also getting next day delivery so you can tailor it to a customer's needs.
Big companies charge heavily for postage and we pay up, but with handmade items the impression seems to be that you're not a "proper" business, so you're up for haggling. It is, after all, a legitimate part of your costs - just as much as buying raw materials.
Kaz, do you really think that separate P&P is more off-putting than bumping your prices up? I thought it seemed more honest.  :-\

garishglobes

I have to say, I think its more honest too - or at least, clearer. I do think its a legitimate cost - and don't forget that you've also had to pay Paypal fees before p&p, so in theory those need factoring in too... :-\
I've just been sitting thinking about this, though - and it has made me realise just how little faith I have in Royal Mail recorded. I know it is a bit dim (that's me!! :D) but it has just dawned on me that it costs an extra 70p!!! Thats a lot for something I have no faith in, and probably for the percentage of missing packets, it is far too much. Personally, I'm tempted to reduce p&p and remove that.... :(