Flame on HH

Started by suzanneC, February 12, 2009, 08:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzanneC

Hi
Have now set up my HH on a bulk propane setup with a 4 bar regulator.  Have been busy practicing, but the last two times
I have noticed that after half an hour the flame has become very orange with only a small blue core of about 1", I have tried
adjusting the hothead but doesn't alter the flame at all.  It's a new cylinder of gas.  It also seems to be not so hot as when
I first started.
Any ideas please.

squirsygirl

I've noticed my flame is orange when there's a lot of combustable particles in the air - are you using frit,  or enamel powder? ( you should use a mask or similar when using enamels).

Also, check your pressure every once in a while - the fuller the tank, the gas will come out at a higher pressure, so it may need turning up / down after a while.

Carefully clean the HH, and check for leaks when you're done.

Kirsty

suzanneC

Hi Kirsty

I haven't been using frit or enamels, and find it hard to understand, will try turning the pressure down on the gas cylinder.

A bit disappointing as I've only just started.

Thanks anyway
Sue

squirsygirl

and, now that I think about it, the quality of the light you are working in means that your perception of the flame is different.  When I work in natural light, I see more yellow, get the florescent lights on, the yellow goes away. (or it  may be the other way around, it's very early for me!)

As long as your glass is melting, and you're getting no marks on the glass, just keep going.  It could be the propane you are using has an additive for the cold weather.  It could be many things, but keep going, and - this is my favourite trick - keep a notebook by the torch so you can write down effects and anomolies.

K

Ness

I also found that on my HH and new tank of propane the flame was lower after about 10 minutes or sometimes less, it even went out a few times (which in the middle of making a bead is a nightmare!!).

I turned up the propane at the tank and have had no more problems.  I'd try turning it up, rather than down first.  You can then turn it down at the torch if you need to without it going out altogether.

This is just what I've found as a newbie too, I may be completely wrong doing it this way!!!