Gold or gold coloured wire for fibula?

Started by Josephine, February 02, 2009, 08:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephine

I have been asked to make a fibula for someone who doesn't like silver. Looking at the price of gold wire I was wondering about alternatives (it will be £25 for enough 9ct gold wire for 1 fibula). I don't think anything plated is viable because I think it would flake when you make the point. Has anyone used anything like brass? Any other suggestions? It maybe that she is happy to pay for gold but then I would need gold beads to put on along with lampwork which limits the choice of design and adds more to the cost.

Redhotsal

Kaylee

I've made a fibula with bronze wire, it's very reasonably priced and a lovely colour IMO.  Try www.wires.co.uk.

Josephine

Thanks Sal and Vicky I will take a look at both types and have a go.

I was unsure as to how different wires be at forming a point and also about stiffness, is it just silver that work hardens?

Kaylee

I think it all work hardens but some more than others perhaps? 

mizgeorge

If you don't want to use gold, I'd go with brass - it will harden enough for a fibula (as long as it's not a huge one), and the colour lasts pretty well. If you can find jeweller's brass, better still.

Some goldfill is actually good enough to take filing, but it's hard to find in heavy gauges (especially in the UK).

Bronze tends to look OK to start with, but doesn't age as nicely - it tends to go a bit green - like grubby old coins!

Josephine

Thanks George, I thought you would know the best thing to use. ;)