Possibly stupid question regarding propane temperatures

Started by Sulis (Hazel), February 02, 2009, 10:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sulis (Hazel)

I guess someone had to ask it...

As many of us keep our propane bottles outside and have hosing going inside to sheds, garages etc...is there anything we should look out for safety-wise during the current low temperatures and snowy conditions? I am pretty sure that propane freezing is not something we would ever have to worry about, but are the pipes, fixings and regulators OK to leave as they are?

It's probably a really dumb question and I'm sure if my eldest son (the Evil Pieman) was around tonight he would know, but he's out at a friend's house, so I have to go public with my daft question!!

Any advice anyone?  :D  thanks!! :-*
Hazel x

Ian Pearson

Bit slow in answering and no doubt you have info but my experience is that low temps affect propane's flow and pressure slightly but it depends on what you are doing.

Ian

Sulis (Hazel)

Thanks Ian  :)

Performance wise, I have been a coward up until now and not yet faced the icy shed - planning a go tonight so should notice then. I'm only making smallish beads in soft glass, so probably won't make a bit of difference.

Safety wise, do you think the pipes and fittings on the tank are likely to be OK?
Or does anyone else know please?
Hazel x

Hels4444

I have been using mine in the shed and have not noticed any difference?????

Hels

Sulis (Hazel)

Do you have your pipes insulated Hels? Sounds like a personal question, but it's not!  ;D lol
Hazel x

Hels4444

Sulis (Hazel)

Sounds good to me - but I'm no expert - hence my daft questions  :-[

There must be someone out there who knows about these things!! Please don't make me phone the plumbing supply shop, they think I am insane as it is!  xx
Hazel x

Pam

I'm actually glad you asked this question Hazel as I was wondering the same. I have been making beads today and I noticed the pressure was down somewhat but thats about it. I have my propane bottle in an old plastic rubbish bin with a hole drilled through it for the pipe so the bottle is slightly insulated  but there is about 10 inches of pipe that isn't.

Magpie

My propane but out in the cold spell before christmas. I got it going again by pouring a kettle of water over it. The second time it happened it wouldn't start again. When I moaned to hubby he said to bring it indoors. It is sitting quite happily at the back of the kitchen and no more problems.

BTW hubby is a carpenter so works with plumbers who use/have their propane etc inside and are quite happy with it not going to blow up on them.

H

Sulis (Hazel)

Magpie, I have nowhere indoors I could keep the cylinder and still have the torch hooked up to it  ::) Shame !!

I think I'll just have to keep checking the fittings for deterioration and keep hoping it will be OK. I tried the torch last night and the pressure seemed fine for what I was using it for.
Pam, I guess we will both be doing that then! That's a great tip you have about the plastic bin - I do like that....I may have to find myself one of those  ;D
Hazel x