Pottery Glazes for Glass?

Started by Obim, January 31, 2009, 01:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obim

Hello Peeps a quick question from a newbie to your site,

I'm quite new to working in glass but have succesfully combined some of my other skills in wood and pottery.  I was wandering if anyone has any information on whether commercially available pottery glazes (there are thousands and thousands of these) can be successfully used in fused glass projects either as an inclusion or externally on work? Has anybody tried, with or without success? Or can anybody direct me to a website about it or share personal experience?

Will probably start experimenting but dont have my own kiln as yet :)

Sorry if there is a thread on this already - but I tend to jump straight in:)

Obim

Mary

Hi Obim!

I think the problem might be the coe, making them incompatible. When using enamel you have to use the right one for your glass, otherwise you get cracks. I don't imagine pottery glazes will need consistent known coe (coefficient of expansion) the way glass does. Sorry!

Zeldazog

What Mary said basically, and of course glazes contain other ingredients.

I tried jewellers enamel as an inclusion and surface treatment and both cracked.

I did successfully use a ready mixed ceramic screen printing ink onto glass, but although it fused properly to the surface (it would have to be ground off), it feels different on the surface and is dull rather than shiny - but so far, two years on and it hasn't cracked!

Of course, these things are always worth a go - give it a try and show us the results!

dinah46

Hi Obim welcome to the madhouse :D

I haven't tried any ready mixed glazes but have bought oxides etc from pottery supply sites. It's a case of trial and error I'm afraid as there doesn't seem to be a lot of readily available info around.

I use a lot of copper and cobalt oxides with greenhouse glass and have used other oxides with varying degrees of success. Happy experimenting :)

Zeldazog

Forget to say welcome to FRit Happens!  Obim

Diane, do you have any pics of what you did with oxides?  I love oxides on ceramics, never thought about applying them to glass.

lorrainelee

Don't know anything about glazes but, welcome to FH Obim.   :) :)
Lorraine

dinah46

Manganese dioxide

a set of coasters with copper oxide

and of course, my signature plate :D  I lurve bubbles. This is copper oxide plus a little cobalt oxide for a darker blue.

Zeldazog

Oh me thinks I will have to raid the oxides cupboard at uni..............

Are the oxides fused in a layer or on top?

dinah46

we're talking oxide sandwich here ;D

Zeldazog

its a great effect Diane, specially that plate, tnat's lurvely

dinah46

Thank you :)

It has proved to be quite a popular effect and the actual method I use to apply the oxides on the plates for maximum bubble effect came about by letting my daughter loose to design her own plate several years ago.  I liked her plate so much I 'stole' the technique ::)

bluefairy

Do you mind me asking where you get your supplies from?  I've always wanted to try oxides and different metals etc but don't know where to get things from, or what to try (and probably more importantly, what to avoid!!) x
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

dinah46

Quote from: bluefairy on February 01, 2009, 11:32:53 AM
Do you mind me asking where you get your supplies from?  I've always wanted to try oxides and different metals etc but don't know where to get things from, or what to try (and probably more importantly, what to avoid!!) x

It's been a long while since I ordered any as a little goes a real long way but this is where I got mine from about 5 or 6 years ago
http://www.ctmpotterssupplies.co.uk/prod04.htm

ejralph

Only just seen this thread, but just wanted to point out that people should be cautious using oxides. They are often quite toxic, manganese ones especially, the toxicity tending to be cumulative though.

Please do research thoroughly any oxides that you want to use, just to be sure you are fully aware of any potential risks and ways to minimise exposure when using them.

Emma

♥♥Tan♥♥

Ah, I can double yay ctm pottery supplies as well, I have always found them brilliant to deal with