fried eyeballs and silver glass

Started by mel, January 14, 2009, 08:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mel

Recently made a couple of small beads from DH rather than applying onto base bead. I found the intensity of the glare much stronger than usual, and it made me wince and squint quite a bit and cos making a bead I had to look at it longer while it was hot than a quick heat, melt and blob it on which is more normaL for me. I've read bits on the old Didymium(?) glasses,which is what I use, but not seen any specific reference to this and am a tad worried my little old eyeballs could get a bit fried.
Anyone out there using any eye protection stronger than pink diddy for this reason?
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads

Mand

My diddys are dark grey lenses - from Martin. I really want a visor thingie. Will be wathcing this thread with great interest.  :)

Trudi

I just use normal didy's and have no problems!

mel

I've continued to fret over this one (a born worrier!!), as the usual Didys protect mainly against soda flare, but I assumed that silver would emit a different spectrum. Finally emailed DH and Mike from Aurelias, who seems to be quite an authority. DH, no response, (but not sure the email went off properly as was form their contact page). Mike however returned with the following response:

Yes, the visible light flare can be hazardous, especially if it is in the high energy region of the spectrum. I've written more information on my safety blog: http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/2007/12/25/visible-light-hazards-and-the-glassworker/

I am currently recommending the AGW-203 filter for anyone who is having glare/brightness issues with the silvered soft glass. Hope this helps!!

The safetly blog was really informative, and anyone interested should have a look. I for one will be upping my eye safety for working with silvered glass even though I'm not on the torch for more than a few hours per week. If DH respond, I will post it up here.

ejralph

I have switched to one of the AGW lenses (forget which one now - sorry!), but it is one that only transmits about 5 percent IR rather than the much higher percentage that didys transmit.

It made a world of difference to how hot and tired my eyes feel after a days torching. I wouldn't got back to didys unless I really had to.

I would really recommend getting one that cuts down as much Infra Red as possilble alongside all the other nasties.

Emma

mel

Thanks for that Emma. I have an eye test on saturday, so am waiting to see if I need any glasses before ordering any extra safety specs. Could be I'm getting old (er), or could be eye strain. The ones recommended by Mike cut IR down to 3.5% so they could be a goer.

ejralph

I had the exact same thing a couple of winters back. My eyes were feeling terrible and I couldn't focus.

So went to the opticians for a test and he said my eyes were perfect, just eye strain. It did scare me enough into getting those better lenses though!

Only scary part was he suggested Mr Man getting an eye test whilst he was there, which revealed all kinds of scary stuff re glaucoma and the like, so we ended up in the hospital on an emergency visit getting all sorts of horrid tests done on him. He was so brave though I really wanted to buy him a plastic dinosaur or something.

So, I am sure it is just as it was with me - a combination of tiring your eyes out with the torching, poor light because it is dull and wintery and general eye strain.

Good luck with it all though - and certainly I am sure the lenses that reduce the IR will be really beneficial.

Emma

saffie

Quote from: ejralph on January 20, 2009, 04:16:23 PM
I have switched to one of the AGW lenses (forget which one now - sorry!), but it is one that only transmits about 5 percent IR rather than the much higher percentage that didys transmit.

It made a world of difference to how hot and tired my eyes feel after a days torching. I wouldn't got back to didys unless I really had to.

I would really recommend getting one that cuts down as much Infra Red as possilble alongside all the other nasties.

Emma
PM'ing you Emma, where did you get these!!! I have been getting problems with glare and want to change!!!

saffie

i found these http://www.phillips-safety.com/Glass-Working-Plastic-Frame/Index.htm
i have the downton glasses from Martin but wondered if the green ACE IR 5.0 is a bit of overkill or ok for glass use. I don't do boro yet but hope to sometime in the future I do have glare problems with the silvered glass and rather than having loads of different pairs of glasses just get a pair that cover all. And I also read that you should change your glasses regularly, why? and how often? Who does this apply to? I will put all this ionfo in the Wiki as well cos it is so important.

ejralph

I have no idea about those lenses. They sound though like a regular welding lense, which might be quite dark for lampworking?

The lenses I have cut out most of the IR (from memory I think they only transmit somewhere between 4 and 6 percent, the rest is blocked). But more importantly they do still allow for very good visibility (acutally I think they allow more visibility than my old didys did)

So how much light they let through is also a factor.

Emma

navarre

I think you will find the shade 5's a bit of overkill for soft glass.

I have a pair of AGW300's - and find they are brilliant for all softglass work - including silverglass.

Some of the silver-glasses can get a bit bright if you are enthusiastic about heating them - but the glasses seem to filter it well.