Ring tutorial

Started by mizgeorge, January 21, 2009, 02:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carol

Quote from: mizgeorge on February 08, 2009, 11:24:47 PM
(and may the path of young love etc etc....)

My daughter just told me he's dumped her friend at school today.....so I guess we'll just keep the ring for now!! :D :D :D
Carol

Amber

Wow, there are some gorgeous rings on here! I'll add my thanks to George - I've been wanting to make these rings for ages, so now I've made a few...will post some pics. I know what Kathryn means about the sore thumb, though... :D

kevie192

I LOVE the look of those rings and I think my customers could really go for them.

Just a couple of quick questions...

I know that the tut says 1mm sterling wire but what hardness should it be for this? Would it work with silver plated to try it out before getting out the expensive silver?

Also, do most lampies have holes big enough to fit two lengths of this wire through?

Thanks,

Kevin x

Carol

I've made quite a few Kevin but not used any sterling silver wire as yet. I've used copper wire & enamelled copper wire which works well & looks quite good, haven't been brave enough to waste any of my silver yet! I reckon the plated stuff would be good until you get the hang of it.
Lampies made on the 2.4 mandrels have big enough holes, not tried the smaller ones.
George is the silver expert, I'm sure she'll advise on how hard the wire needs to be  ;)
Carol

mizgeorge

Soft temper works best - you can get away with half hard, but it's tough on the fingers! I love these in copper as well. I can see no reason why plated wouldn't work - I just don't use it myself :)

For beads made on 1.6mm mandrels, you can use 0.8mm wire - the whole effect is more dainty, but does still work.

kevie192

Sal

I've got another question (sorry!) Ring mandrels-is it best to get separate ones as in one as a gauge and one as a proper smooth mandrel or would a steel mandrel with markings on be ok? Would the markings mean that when you were hammering it would mark the ring? Does that make any sense?

Thanks!
Sal

mizgeorge

I have both - but rarely hammer rings to resize, so I generally use my marked one. Sorry not to be more helpful! Since the marks are indented, any ring would have to be pretty thin for it to be marked by hammering on the outside though.