What should my flame look like?

Started by LittleHen, November 14, 2007, 02:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleHen

Hi all you expert lampies, does anyone have a picture of how what my flame should look like on a minor burner.  I've got a mid-range with a minor on the top.  I've just lit them and didn't think that they're be that much of a choice of flame.  I'm going to leave the mid-range aloane for a while and get up and running on the minor.
so if anyone has a piccie of a lit flame them please let me see...
P.S. I'm very excited about it, it is now so long since I had lessons I hope it'll all come flooding back to me...
Jessie  ;)

Mary

This thread has pictures of my daughter working on my Minor. She is working a bit further out than I do. That's it running on a single oxy-con, it would be more defined, brighter on two or bottled oxy.

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1738.0

Actually here is a pic I happened to have, running on two oxy-cons. The candles should be all blue or with white tips, no yellow. If you're not sure, try sticking a reduction glass in the flame, like iris gold, if it reacts you've got a reduction flame.

Dickie

Right...

This first picture is of a normal working flame, there should be no yellow in the flame, but the cooler part of the flame should still be quite long. (also note the slight tufts on the end of the candles)

Which is different from this Oxidizing flame (note the short cooler part of the flame, and the short candles at the front of the flame)

The next two are a reducing and a very reducing flame (note the yellowness in the flame)

Hope this is of some help...
Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

LittleHen

Thanks for the pictures, I think that I've got it adjusted right, now I've just got to give it a go!!
;D ;D ;D

Dee Dee

I know this is an old old thread, but the pictures are very useful, as I was unsure what my flame should look like (thanks Dickie). 

I've just set up my new torch (Cricket) and oxycon for the first time, and just have a couple of questions regarding the flame.....

In the reducing flame, where exactly would you place your bead to reduce say DH glasses?  I tried it in a flame like the "very reducing flame", but my bead went sooty.

When I had my beginner's lesson on the hot head - I was told the "sweet point" (point where you work) was at the end of the blue flame - where is the sweet point on the normal working flame?  The end of the blue flame seems too far away.

Finally, what would you use an oxidizing flame for?

Thanks......   

Steph x

Kaz

I tend to work in the flame like the top one generally about 3 or 4 inches from the torch (I like to work quite hot and now have 2 oxycons attached)
For silver glass I would tend to use the first of the reducing flames and either rotate the bead slightly below the top end of the yellow bit or flash it in and out.
If your bead gets sooty you are either holding it in too long or have too much propane. Some people turn up the propane to get a BIG reduction flame - I tend to turn down the oxygen instead. Beware that the reduction flame is a lot cooler than the balanced flame and so your beads may crack if you mess about for too long.
The oxidising flame can be used to remove the soot or when you are working with colours that are very prone to reducing e.g. some of the blues and turquoises. And can be used to get blue or turquoise glass back to normal if it has gone reddish through reduction by mistake.
I also turn down the propane and oxygen to get a slightly smaller flame if I am doing detailed work - but again because it is colder you need to make sure you keep flashing your bead through the flame to keep it hot so it doesn't crack!
Good luck Steph!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Dickie

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the soot is not a problem.. (as long as that's the last thing you do) as it can be wiped off the bead when it's cool. Obviously if you are going to add more detail, then it may mix with the glass and that would not be nice.

Anyone?

Dickie

Kaz

Quote from: Dickie on February 06, 2009, 09:17:38 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the soot is not a problem.. (as long as that's the last thing you do) as it can be wiped off the bead when it's cool. Obviously if you are going to add more detail, then it may mix with the glass and that would not be nice.

Anyone?
Precisely - for example if you want to reduce a silver rich glass to get the colours to come out before you encase it.
Sorry I haven't got the skills to update the wiki :(
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Dickie

Quote from: Kaz on February 06, 2009, 09:22:33 AM
Sorry I haven't got the skills to update the wiki :(

To be honest.. if you can write a forum post... you can update the Wiki... it's not hard honest. :)

Mary

Just don't have the reduction flame quite so fuel rich - I have mine mostly yellow, but blue at the tip, and hold my bead in the blue bit (at arm's length). No sooting, but strong reduction.

lemon kitten

Y'know....I just stumbled upon this thread whils idly looking through.  An it's a great help.  I must say I was'nt sure how my flame should look either.  I got my oxy con set up about a month ago...turns out the flame was correct but it's hard to know when it is coming from a HH set up.  Thanks for posting this and the really good pics.

Janey x
Never stand up in a canoe!

Dee Dee

Thanks everyone, I am finding colours burn very quickly - am holding them about 4 inches away from the torch - I know, it's ppp, but it's frustrating when you spend time on a bead and then very quickly it's spoilt!