Worksurfaces and suitable depth/width

Started by theseahorse, January 09, 2009, 10:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah

Quote from: theseahorse on January 11, 2009, 12:16:57 AM

By the way, does anyone know what type of fire extinguisher I should have?

Sam :)

I went for this one as it can cope with gas, electric & wood

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/19094/Workplace-Safety/Workplace-Safety/Fire-Extinguisher-Dry-Powder-1kg

Sarah
xxx

sea-thistle

Screwfix are excellent to buy from! Think most of the tools my husband has bought are from them!! :)

theseahorse

Rozelle and Sarah,
Thanks for the info on fire extinguishers. I was wondering about electrical fires as well - in case something is kiln-related, so I may go for the screwfix one. Karin - I must look at screwfix. My Dad always used to use it a lot too.

Thanks Zelda for letting me know about how hot your kiln gets when it is on. I think you're right, the distance probably is just a precaution. I noticed when looking at the photos of people's workspaces that some kilns look quite close to the wall. I think I'm one of those people who likes to do things by the book (well safety-related precautions). My mind gets a bit carried away ::) and I half expect my shed to blow up or be burnt down :o

Thanks again for all the help

All the best

sea-thistle

Hi Sam Yes I'm one of those that does things by the book.  ;)

Sarah

Hi Sam

Sorry - I meant to add that I have the stainless steel tables from IKEA that Jessie posted. You can also get adjustable legs & trestles for them so that you can adjust your worktop height to suit you.

I found that I need the worktop higher than the normal height so the adjustable legs are perfect  :)

Sarah
xxx

theseahorse

Thanks Sarah,

You've answered another question that was at the back of my mind. I was wondering whether to get the adjustable legs as the standard 70cm height might be a bit low. I think I might need to sit down with a tape measure. The fixed ones are so much cheaper, but then I don't really wnat to do my back in by sitting at the wrong posture.

Many thanks