Worksurfaces and suitable depth/width

Started by theseahorse, January 09, 2009, 10:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theseahorse

Hi

I was looking at these Ikea tables as potential workbenches for my shed. They have a width of 60cm:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50103604

However, I just wondered if they would be deep enough. My kiln (SC2) instructions say that the kiln should be placed at least 12 inches (30cm) from the nearest wall. Having measured my kiln, I have worked out that if I put it right on the front of the worktop, the distance from the back to the shed wall will be a few cm under this. Does everyone leave such a large gap between their kiln and the wall or do you have some sort of heat proof material on the wall behind the kiln? I've read somewhere that it is advisable to put your kiln on metal trolley to protect everything in case of a fire. What do you put your kilns on?

In addition, the Bobcat instructions say that the flame can be up to 15 inches long and that it needs to be at least 4 ft away from a flammable wall.

Do you think I would be OK buying these worktops if I put something flameproof on the wall behind the torch and would I need anything behind the kiln too.

Sorry for such idiotic questions, I'm just trying to get my head around how it would all fit together.

Many thanks

Sam :)

sea-thistle

Hi Sam my kiln is on a metal trolley, on a sheet of brass. away from all walls, but I am paranoid maybe like you!! ;) about safety!! We don't want the shed burning down. And the handbook says that you should have it that way, so there is a reason. How big is the shed? Mine is 12 foot by 8 foot. Karin :)

theseahorse

Hi Karin,
My shed is a bit smaller than that: 10 ft x 6 ft. I was thinking of having a 2 metre table along the longest length (at the back - opposite the doors) and a 1 metre table going down the side of the shed, but I could have a small trolley instead of the smaller table, and pull it out a little if its on when I'm working in there and then leave it as central as possible if it has to be on when I'm not in the shed.

Where did you buy your metal trolley from?

Thanks

SMHBuss

I have this table top but it is covered in a sheet of metal.  I dont see it on their site.  I got mine less than a year ago.  You many want to go there and have a look before deciding.  They seem to have more options when you get there.

I have the SC2 as well and have it on a roll away kitchen table with a tile under it (left over from retiling the bathroom) and keep it about 1 ft from the wall, really just by chance.

Good luck!

Kaz

I think I would consider having steel top and extending it to behind the worktop where the torch is. Mine is fairly close though and I have not had any problems. (and you will need a fire extinguisher!) If you are planning on the worktop being L-shaped could you put the kiln on an angle in the corner - you should be able to get the clearance then. Though again if you put sheet metal under and behind, it may be OK. You need to make sure the surface underneath is not combustible in particular.
Good luck with this - how fantastic to be able to design from scratch.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

LittleMoo

Shirley

My kiln is sat on a wooden unit. I've got half a dozen ceramic tiles under each corner to raise it up though and it is absolutely fine.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

kerensky

When I was planning surfaces for my shed - I looked at something similar too, when I added the cost of benches, surface coverings and trolleys etc up it was more cost effective for me to build a bench out of materials from the DIY shop.

What I ended up with was an MDF bench built to standard kitchen surface width,height,and depth, I then tiled and grouted it to give me a durable top that would not scorch.  My kiln sits about 8 inches from the back wall of the shed, midway between the wall and the edge of the surface, no problems so far, it doesn't get that hot around it either, I checked the distance with my supplier and they said it would be fine, and it is.

As for my torch, it is a safe distance from the wall too, bearing in mind ( standard surface depth here) ,  I don't have a metal sheet or anything behind it yet, but can't foresee the need for this either, I have an extractor right behind my torch for fumes and this is obviously closer than the wall and this works well and has never been scorched. I don't have a Bobcat though, perhaps someone could advise you on a suitable distance from the wall, who has the same torch?

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with, there are plenty of examples of great work areas on the studio and workplace thread, I used this as reference when planning my shed out and it was very useful.

sea-thistle

Hi Sam , My husband made the trolley for me ! He also built all the units and the drawers and cupboard doors. I have kitchen worktop also tiles and steel sheet where doing the lampworking, also steel across the wall behind the torch. I painted all the cupboard doors and drawers! lol. When your annealing the beads the temp wont be as high as when you are fusing sheet glass. But still wise to keep it away from the walls like they say in the handbook. Colin was going to put a sheet of copper under the kiln, as he had a large sheet of it! but it was so heavy, so we used a sheet of brass we had lying about,as you do!!lol. If your going to work outside in this cold you'll need some sort of heater I have an oil filled radiator I picked up at B andQ for about £30, but it does keep it warm in there.You'll also have to get electric put in? Mine cost about £350. I have a separate box for it in the garage. So there is no overload on the household electric. I have about 6 double sockets in the shed, fluorescent lighting, and a security light, and blinds! I've also got some film stuff Colin brought home that you stick to windows, you can see out but no one can see in !! ;) Sorry to hog the thread, just trying to help a bit ;)

LittleHen

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40115532
I have this stainless steel table top they do it in a smaller one too.
I've had no problems burning down anything but obviously take some good precautions.
Jessie  ;)

SMHBuss

That's the one I have too!  It is great!  I have the smaller one...and it's not that small. 

SMHBuss

theseahorse

Thank you very much everyone for your help. Everything you have all said has been so useful in helping me to think through my workspace. I know I'm very lucky to be able to design it from scratch.

I think the stainless steel trolley (for the kiln) and the stainless steel table from ikea are just right for me.

I also found it very useful looking at the photos of everyone's work spaces - thanks.

By the way, does anyone know what type of fire extinguisher I should have?

I'm now onto the great ventilation debate. I've nearly read every thread on here that refers to it, and several US sites. I think I'll be going to be dreaming of fans!

Thanks again. your help is much appreciated

LittleMoo

This is my fire extinguisher. They have about a year's shelf life (they print the expiry date on them) but for a tenner it's a bargain.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-8724.aspx

Zeldazog

Quote from: theseahorse on January 09, 2009, 10:47:08 PM

However, I just wondered if they would be deep enough. My kiln (SC2) instructions say that the kiln should be placed at least 12 inches (30cm) from the nearest wall.

Sam

My fusing kiln, a Skutt, advises 18 inches space all around it and for it to be standing on a concrete (or similar) floor - I think they are just being somewhat over cautious though - even at full whack and after a prolonged time, I can get my hands within about 3 inches of the sides and top (and underneath) the kiln - and then it's warm, not even hot, hot.  I reckon for anything to catch on fire near my kiln would have to be combustible at about 35degrees centigrade!

Now, I would never advocate flaunting safety advice, but I do think the distance warnings are more as a precaution, if, in the extremely unlikely event, a kiln were to catch on fire, that it's far enough that the flames won't reach anything.

Obviously you do need a decent gap around the kiln to help airflow and prevent overheating though.