cracking beads ??????????

Started by Trudi, December 30, 2008, 07:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudi

Grrrrrrr

i made some lovley beads  - nothing too fancy, but they had a nice effect - and then they cracked! And I don't know why!!

they are on a plain effetre topaz - with terra swirled on top - great colour reactions!! Pressed in a lentil and cooled in a blanket (didn't have the kiln on as I was only having a quick play!).

I made 4 - and I noticed at first one had cracked while the others were fine - I thougt perhaps I'd let it get too cold. Then I've looked at the other beads today and now they're all cracked! Some of them have an almost stright crack - others seem to curve (not sure if this is because of the press) - very strange as the glass should be compatible!!

Has anyone else had the same with terra??

I'm guessing it's a compatability crack, but I'm not 100% sure!

Dragonfire Glass

I'd say cooling cracks but then I'm no expert!

Vicki

Quote from: Failariel on December 30, 2008, 08:14:21 PM
I'd say cooling cracks but then I'm no expert!

thats what i think too, the cooling cracks thing, not Colette not being an expert :D

garishglobes

I'd say, if it goes straight down the mandrel the chances are its a cooling crack. If it goes off at angles, it could be compatibility. I wasn't aware Terra ever suffered from particular compatibility problems, but could very (very!) easily be wrong..
Either way, its frustrating for you, what with Terra being scarce and gorgeous and all...

LittleMoo

I find that a lot of my pressed beads crack if I don't use the kiln. I found that having the base of my press resting on my torch top marver helped as it keeps the chill off the press.

Kaz

I almost never get cracks even when using vermiculite. But I had a bead crack right in half (actually on its way to a customer :o) this week even after being annealed. I suspect that this very very cold weather may have something to do with it. Are you fully flame annealing before putting them to bed?
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Shirley

lentils always crack for me unless they go straight in the kiln. Always.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Trudi

Thanks for the replies - I don't normally have an issue with lentils cracking even if they cool in the blanket (and they weren't big lentils either)! I do flame anneal - perhaps I was just unlucky as it has been very very cold!! I'll try again next time I have the kiln on!! They were nice beads too!!! I just didn't wan't to make another set in the kiln only to have them crack on me!!
Quote from: LittleMoo on December 30, 2008, 08:38:37 PM
I find that a lot of my pressed beads crack if I don't use the kiln. I found that having the base of my press resting on my torch top marver helped as it keeps the chill off the press.

Good tip - I sometimes waft the handled part of the press in the flame before I start to get it warm - and I usually press each bead a few times too - so the press does tens to stay warmish!