Metal shed size. Starting to wonder if too small.

Started by Hotglass28, January 05, 2009, 04:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotglass28

I bought a metal shed not long ago but I havent yet put it up as its been very cold.  (we are wet around the ears we know!)

Its a small one, stamp size 6 wide x 7 long.  And its not insulated yet.

I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time with this shed and just go for it a buy a bigger wooden shed.  I would hate wasting my boyfriends time in putting it up and then wanting a bigger one in a years time.  Plus I'm starting to wonder if I will have a problem with my wood burner being in a small workshop. (burnt backs come to mind).

Has anyone got this size shed, if not am I wasting my time.? 

Hope all had a good holiday.

Denise
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Vicki

it does sound quite small, mine is bigger than that & sometimes I wish it was bigger...do you have a work top yet? knowing the size of that it will give you some idea how much space will be left for you :)  you might get a little hot in a metal shed in the summer....mind you to be hot feels like bliss now  ;D

mizgeorge

You might get away with it if you put your bench all the way across the 6 foot length - if the door is on the other short side. We've got one of these for storage (bigger though) and it's actually not that hot in the summer. It has perspex panels in the roof for extra light which is nice.

It was a bugger to put up though - I think it came in 345,296 bits with a single sheet of rather sketchy instructions!

turnedlight

The advice I ws given was to go as big as I had space for/ could afford.. is it possible to sell the metal one to put towards a larger one? Having said that, I did it in the kitchen for a year, with a tiny floorspace and I used a plastic crate to hold stuff and a workmate bench to work on, so I'm sure your metal shed could work..
kathryn

Hotglass28

Humm, I have laid it out and done a rough look-see to see where things go and although I will have room to sit and work at a desk I won't have much room to do any thing else.  Like swing a Gerbil. ;D

Been looking at screwfix and the like and I have decided that I could extend it to house the desk.  Adding about 3 foot I reckon.

Oh, and yes I think I have the same shed mizgeorge as it too has less than helpfull instructions and about the same silly little fixings which don't look very strong.  ah, the joys of ebay.

I shall get there in the end ::)

Denise

saffie

I have a 7foot by 7 foot "summer house" which I thought would be fab but it is too small. I can teach in it but it is a little cramped!!! Hubby and I are discussing putting a conservatory / workspace on the back of the house for me!! Go for as big as you can fit in and afford!!!
Sam

Hels4444

I have and 8 x 6 shed, its fine for just me, but is a little cramped, I am planning a massive one, once I talk the OH round!!!!, I want running water and a toilet and a desk area, and a glass area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redhotsal

I can't remember how big mine is - 8 x 6 sounds about right, it's too dark and 'orrible outside to measure it. However, yes, it does come in 345,296 bits and took Adam and my brother all day to assemble. I went out for the day and when I came back they were still at it and in a really vile mood. If yours is a Yardmaster like mine is you need to sort of have the thing almost assembled before you can start bolting it all together - it doesn't get any structural strength until it is nearly all assembled, so there was a lot of choice language going on of a "technical" nature, mainly 'cos it is sharp and nasty.

Mine is raving - I mean raving, hot in the summer (as the door faces the midday sun) and raving cold in the winter. There is no middle ground.

I've decided to insulate mine by cladding it in wood on the outside (thus preserving the inner dimensions and the nice fireproof interior) and squirting CANS of expandable foam in the cavity. It might make it more rustic looking. This is a job for the spring.

I can actually get me and two unsuspecting students into mine (although I insist they know each other well - it's just too intimate for three complete strangers!) And with two torches, a heater and kiln going it does manage to get warm in the winter (or raving, raving, raving hot in high summer).

The nice thing about a metal shed is that when it rains heavily it reminds me of sitting in my mum and dad's car on holiday in Cornwall when I was young. But you also can't hear the afternoon play.

Hotglass28

I didn't want to be rude and ask how big yours was ;D

Totally understand how the temperatures can be in extrems, my shed reminds me of prison solitary confinement/cook to death box.  Mine has no roof window like your has so I thinks it going to be a wee bit close in there for me.  thus I have decided to extend out the front when its finished. Should add 3-4 foot I hope.

I had the same idea about cladding the tin shed too with shiplap, then an idea of buying cavity insulation slabs to line the inside, then another idea about scrapping the whole ideas I came up with.

May I completely nick your idea of the expanding foam, I think that's a jolly good idea Sally.  We can compare sheds then eh.
Its does make sense to keep the tin on the inside, all the better for not catching alight when bits go flying. ;D

Denise

Redhotsal

Actually what helped enormously was to have some sort of awning over the opening. We put one of those collapsible marquees right over the whole thing, which was great - really good in summer as it protected the shed against the direct ravages of the sun, and it also allowed me to "open up" the whole thing. Actually felt like I was camping - there was an "outdoor" area which was covered, (the bit on a tent where you can park wellies and wet dogs.)

Unfortunately it tore loose from its moorings and took off in a gale just before Christmas. Bum.
I'm looking for a sail which we can stretch over where the marquee used to be and make it look "artistic".
Honestly - I spend more time tinkering around with my shed than I do tinkering in it.  ::)

But yeah - can't wait to get going with the foam!

Home, sweet home.....

sparrow

I can't remember exactly, but Rowanberry Claire's is quite cosy too - I guess it's a case of discipline (putting stuff away) and clever storage (tiered frit storage, etc.) - good luck!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Lush!

That's a great pic Sally, brings back happy memories of my visit ... but is it just me, or does the inside of your shed look a little, er, smoky?  :o     ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com