Shed floor?

Started by Sarah, January 02, 2009, 08:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah

I was just about to but some workshop flooring for my shed when I spotted the flammable warning on it so it went back onto the shelf. The guy in the shop recommended rubber matting but I think I'd get yucky fumes from it if (when) I get a shocky rod.

I'm having no luck finding fire resistant/retardant flooring so please tell me what you have on the floor and what happens when you ping hot glass onto it?

Thanks

Sarah
xxx

Lush!

Quarry tiles ... nothing happens ...

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Vicki

I have B&Q value tiles, the lino kind.....they are nothing special, but seem pretty tough as I have no burny melt type marks on them that I can see  :)

Sarah

Thanks Vicki - I was wondering about lino

Julie - I spotted your very posh quarry tiles in one of the photos and am very jealous  :-*

Sarah
xxx

Lush!

Really?!!

I can't take any credit, they were already down when I bought the house   ;)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

turnedlight

I put down laminate, I guess a large bit of hot glass would scorch it, but so far it hasn't happened! I always look about before I leave the shed.
kathryn

kerensky

I have laminated wooden floor from Wickes the cheapest I could find, over a layer of insulation to keep my toes warm, not a scorch in sight, I do have water and a fire extinguisher handy just in case, but so far so good.

Carol

I've got victorian stone tiles on my floor, been down since 1901 - durable & unmarkable! (By hot glass anyway  :D )
I do have what I think are granite floor tiles on my work surface, got them cheap at B & Q or similar & they don't mark either  ;)
Carol

Kaz

I have industrial type flooring (like you'd get in hospitals and catering) and it does not burn - but it does smoulder/mark if red hot glass goes onto it.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Lyn G

I've just got vinyl flooring (cut from a big roll) which is great.  It's easy to clean and doesn't seem to have melted....most of my bits seem to end up on the worktop.

Vicki

I theory is that when a bit of glass pops off it flys through the air & has cooled enough not to scorch my lino by the time it hits it....it, on the other hand doesn't cool enough to not burn a hole in my skin....which is annoying as I would rather it scorched my lino rather than my skin...never mind eh!

Sarah

Hmm sounds as 'though I may be a little paranoid & vinyl/lino/laminate might do the job

Vicki - I know just what you mean - annoying isn't it

Julie - I have a "thing" about quarry tiles especially as the people who had this house before us ruined all the quarry tiles in the kitchen.

Thanks for your help everyone  ;D

Sarah
xxx

ejralph

I am pretty safety concious, except where it comes to the floor and I have just the wooden shed floor with a small rug under my chair!

I seldom get flying bits of glass, since I am quite wussy and take ages to warm the glass up., But when it happens and burns a hole anywhere it is usually quite "containable" and I don't much care from any aethestic point of view. The smell soon alerts you!

Emma

LittleMoo

I had a concrete floor in my old shed but there was a piece of lino on part of it and I always knew if any flying bits of hot glass landed on it cos it stank!

saffie

I'm with Emma, wooden shed floor! did set fire to it the other month!!! can't quite remember how but the smell alerts you before it gets to big!!!! I have water as well!!!!!