Torch Advice

Started by lemon kitten, December 22, 2008, 06:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lemon kitten

Ok I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this question so mod's feel free to move it to whatever section you think apropriate....but I need a little advice.  I am seriously thinking of treating myself to a "grown up" torch next year.  Can anyone recommend any they feel is a good buy.  My current torch is a Hot Head.  My first impression was to get a Nortel minor burner, but what do you guys use and what do you think.  It's a bit of a minefield out there for me as far as torches are concerned so I'd be glad of advice please.

Janey x
Never stand up in a canoe!

Steampunkglass

I went for the Norton Minor & oxycon deal from Martin at Tuffnells, took a little while to get used to it but never looked back since. It's so nice to work on something for ten minutes and not worrying the Mapp gas is going to run out. However lately I've wanted to have a go at Boro, the minor will melt it, but it's hard going. Unless you expect to go up to boro or really big beads very quickly I don't think you can go far wrong with it, it's nice and straightforward

Les

I have to agree... minor and oxycon are my fave choice :)

Redhotsal

yep - minor. Unless you want to get flash, then, as with cars it's all down to what you want it to do.

Kaz

I have had my minor for just over a year and am just upgrading to a Lynx (but the reason behind this is because I want to get flash (and work a bit hotter with a bit more control rather than not liking the minor!) The minor is a great torch and I am keeping hold of mine as I may end up with a two torch set up at some point in the future. I would have a chat with Martin though as the mega minor is only slightly more expensive than the minor - though I am not sure what the key advantages are and I failed miserable to get Martin to tell me :-X
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

clasicat

I have a bobcat and it's a very nice pinky purple colour  ;D
Claire x

ebj

I have the minor burner and oxycon - but If I upgrade now It would be to the mega - I say this only as I know my torch and want to do more boro . Its only £20 more than the minor- so If I was starting out thats what I would go for - the other hotter torches I believe are more pricey than the mega- but I agree- call Martin - he will really give you great advice.   
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com

lemon kitten

Thanks...once again good sound advice, and it sounds like the Minor or the Mega will do the jon as it were.  I don't use Mapp gas I have a 19kilo cannister of prophane, so....at the risk of sounding stupid LOL! what does the Oxycon converter do?  I assume one does not need a cannister of Oxygen as well or di I???  As I said it's all a black art to me now!

Janey

Shirley

The oxycon provides the oxygen you need to run the torch. You don't need a separate oxygen cylinder.

I've got a bobcat, by the way, and I love it. It's very adjustable, very quite and I can get it hot enough to melt mandrels, so it should be ok to have a go at boro' with it too! :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Kaz

The oxygen acts as an accelerant i.e. it makes the flame hotter. Without the oxygen, the pure propane flame would just burn black and soot everything up and I am not even sure it would be hot enough to actually melt glass. The hot head is constructed to take in oxygen from the air - though this is limited and why the torch is slow to melt glass. If you have an oxycon you don't need oxygen as well. Having had a go on pure oxygen, I can see that it makes the flame hotter and seem a bit cleaner but the cost and safety risk seem to outweigh these benefits.
HTH
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

lemon kitten

Once again thanx for all the great advice!  :)  I have been thinking long and hard about this torch issue, and even more so the last couple of days.  I really HAVE to get a "grown up" set up.  The more I read about the Bobcat the more I like it, and as I have the hose and the regulator already for the HUGE cannister of prophane, I think I will probably go for the oxycon only and buy the torch seperately rather than go for the FULL set up with the minor burner Martin has on his site.  I tried to call him yesterday to have a chat about this but looks like he's closed now for Xmas (can't blame him either!!)  What I may do is....IF I can bear to wait till Flame Off............Go along to that ( I was planning on going anyway) and have a good look and a chat about what I have, what I need, and how to set it all up.  I could also have a go on a Bobcat or other duel fuel torch as I've never tried one before. 
Janey's gettin a proper torch.....eventually...watch this space!!!!!!!!

Janey x

Shirley

Trying them is what made the difference to me, so if you can wait until the flame off then that would be a great chance to try. I was lucky enough to be able to try a couple of torches at another lampworker's studio and then went up to Tuffnell's to try the lynx and bobcat. 

All exciting!
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Sarah

I'd echo Shirley's advice - it really is worth trying a few torches so that you know what you like.

I upgraded to a Bethlehem Betta last year and I love it  :D I was getting frustrated making bigger beads on the minor as I spent a long time keeping them warm. Like Kaz 'though I still have my minor.

Sarah
xxx