I`m having a problem with my lentil press

Started by HelenV, November 09, 2008, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HelenV

I have a lentil press which has one normal lentil, one ss lentil and one tab press in it.

Everytime I use it, one side of the bead looks ok (normally the top side as it sits in the press) but the bottom side is always thinner and has bits missing from around the mandrel area.

When you look at the bead it is uneven in terms of thickness - the area on top has more glass than underneath.

I have tried different mandrel sizes, adding more glass, less glass, using different types of glass at different temperatures and they are all the same, in each of the three types as well.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong - I am on a HH. I have used similar presses before and had no problem.

I will try to take some pictures but they are also all cracking!

Any ideas?????

Helen xx

www.helenvanekdesign.co.uk
www.etsy.com/shop/helenvanekdesign

Lloki

Hi HelenV,
I'm a newbie as well on a hothead.
Could it be that you've been unlucky enough to purchase a lopsided press? Is the mandrel hole exactly in the middle? It may be an idea to try some filmo clay on a mandrel in it just to check.
It seemes very strange that your other presses work OK but not this one, how thick is the pressed bead supposed to be? Mandrel v thickness problems maybe?
Just my novice ideas, good luck! Lloki :)
Cerri

Lloki

Also meant to say, if you do do the filmo test, just make sure you clean it well afterwards! ;D
Cerri

Vicki

I had a wonky pillow press once, it just didn't line up...but it was replaced quickly :)  I was goint to suggest using plastercine or something like it or measure it to compare the base & the top

Kaz

Most of my lentil presses do this but I just re-heat and turn over to even it up  ???
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Redhotsal

I find that if the bead is centred/symmetrical before I put it in the press it will do this. Try making a really centred round bead (i.e. NOT wonky at all), leave it for a few seconds so that it stiffens and then gently press it. If you know that your bead is centred to begin with and you still are experiencing problems then it probably is a fault with the press.

HelenV

Thanks everyone,

I`ve tried using bluetac and the same happened.

I will try your ideas as its more likely to be me than the press!

Helen x

Lush!

This happens to me when I press too hot - I find it best to let the glass cool a little, then gently press one side, then the other side of the bead just against the bottom of the press to start the shape, maybe reheat a little, then press completely.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

HelenV

Maria Louisa

Hi Helen,
What I do is only press a centered bead, like Sal says, the shape comes out better if you start with a nice shaped bol.
I always press beads in several steps and it helps if you press the second (or third) time, that you switch the bead the other site up and press it then (hope this is clear, don't know how to explain it allright in English).
www.glassbeadsculptress.com
www.glassbeadsculptress.etsy.com
www.beadpress.nl
www.flickr.com/beadpress

Pat from Canvey

Maria Louisa, your English is perfect, just the right amount of accent to be endearing. In my early days, I lived at my Grans with various family members, one of whom was a Polish uncle. I spent time as a four or five year old trying to get him to say "think" instead of "tink". The funny thing was, when his son started to speak, it was with a Polish accent. The son only reverted to an English accent when he went to school. The older daughter didn't do this at all.

Maria Louisa

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on November 10, 2008, 08:36:09 AM
Maria Louisa, your English is perfect, just the right amount of accent to be endearing.
Thanks Pat ;)
www.glassbeadsculptress.com
www.glassbeadsculptress.etsy.com
www.beadpress.nl
www.flickr.com/beadpress