Bead press inside texture

Started by theseahorse, December 18, 2008, 10:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theseahorse

Hi,
This is probably a really strange and stupid question, but I've never owned a bead press before, so I don't know what it should look like. I have just received a pillow bead press through the post, which my Mum (very kindly) has bought for me for Christmas. I expected the texture of the press part that presses the beads to be smooth, but I've noticed that it has a ribbed texture. At the highest part that makes the largest pillow, where the mandrel would go accross, the ribbing is much wider. Is this normal? I really have no idea what to expect and won't get to try it out for a few weeks. I wondered whether the bead would come out with ribbed markings all over it, or are you supposed to put it back in the flame after pressing to smooth the surface out anyway that this isn't really an issue?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Many thanks for your help

Sam :)

Les

Hiya :)
The beads do come out with some imprint from the press... all you need to do is flame polish the bead before you cool or anneal it. I usually just warm the bead until the surface looks smooth and shiny again. You just need to be careful you don't flame polish it too harshly as the shape of your bead will not be so crisp :)

HTH

theseahorse

Thanks Les,
I was hoping that might be the case. Thanks for the reassurance - I just had no idea what to expect.

I can't wait to use it now.

Best wishes

Kaz

Have a look at some of the tutorials on Zooziis
http://www.zooziis.com/zooziistutorials.aspx
Some bead presses have very distinctive line patterns inside but you don't usually see them when you press the beads but what you do get are chill marks - usually concentric circles which have to be flame-polished out as Les describes by allowing the flame to gently lick them away....
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Trudi

Hi there

Some of the presses do have this - it's not unusual - and I guess you're right it would freak you out a little!! When you first press your bead you'll get chill marks anyway from the metal cooling the glass anyway!!

Tips from me -

Make a foot print - ie wind glass round the mandrel to the correct width
then build up - making sure you have an even barrel shape (this makes it so much easier)

Wehn you're ready to press - let the glow fade before you press

Gently press - as you press down - as the top & bottom meet - gently let go of the mandrel (this helsp to stop the bead release breaking.

Add more glass if required  - and re-press
The more you press the warmer the press gets and it won't leave the chill marks - it usually a good idea to press a couple of times even when you have the right amount and shape!

When you have the right shape heat at the top end of the flame before putting in the kiln (or blanket/vermiculite)

Hope that this helps!

Trudi x

theseahorse

Thanks Kaz - those tutorials look really useful especially with the photos.

Trudi, thank you sharing that invaluable information. It makes sense now - until I have a go. I have only tried a bead press once, when I had a lesson with Mike Poole. I ended up dropping the mandrel and trying to catch it. Not a sensible idea! ::)

All the best

Sam  :)

Redhotsal

Even if your bead press was a smooth as a baby's bottom you will get chill marks on your bead. You have to fire polish them out.

Try squashing a bead with a graphite marver. Even though the marver is absolutely smooth and shiny you will still get chill marks. This is because there is sudden heavy localised contraction of the glass from the cool surface of the marver.

The ribs/ridges on the press are the marks from the cutting tool used on the press. To smooth this out would make an already pricey press even more expensive so they don't bother. As I say you'll get chill lines anyway.

Run the chill marks back into the torch and melt them away. Or leave them if you believe they are "arty".

theseahorse

Thanks Sally for your further information.

Sorry for my delay in posting - I've been away for the weekend.

I suppose it could add an arty effect to a bead.

I can't wait to have a go.

All the best