Costs of running a kiln?

Started by Ra73, June 22, 2012, 09:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ra73

Hi can anyone give me a rough idea of how much electricty it costs to run a small to medium kiln, trying to work it out before i move and buy one
also can a kiln run surficiently off a generator?
thanks  ;)

Blue Box Studio

I ran my SC2 through a power monitor (like this but not this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-In-Power-and-Energy-Monitor/dp/B000Q7PJGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340355428&sr=8-1) and it was working out at something like £1 for a batch annel which was taking about 7.5 hours.  I thought it would be a lot more, but I did it several times and costed it from my leccy unit cost so presume I am somewhere in the right area.

Actually,  the power monitor was a great buy - horrified by the power the dishwasher used in standby, now we turn it off when it finishes, not hours later when we go to bed / come back in from work.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Redhotsal

On Kilncare's kilns there's actually something in the program that you can press to see how much power you've used on a cycle. It's surprisingly little actually, especially if your kiln is well insulated. My Kilncare Maxi doesn't even use a pounds worth a day though it is a fire brick construction. My old Bluebird with fibre insulation used to get so hot on the outside you could boil a kettle. Dread to think how much that one cost to run!

Ra73

thankyou for your helpful replys
i will do some resurch with the kilns as i now have to decide which one to buy
exciting   :o

Redhotsal

Tina has listed a Maxine for sale on here yesterday. Low mileage and one careful lady owner. I would snap it up (but I have two!). The best thing about Kilncare is the support - second to none in my honest opinion.  Here's a link http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37803.0

Note - this kiln won't get hot enough for enameling or fusing though - it's just for bead annealing.

Ra73

thanks for the maxine tip,
would it get hot enough for pmc, metal clay or fine ceramics ? as this is also my intention for kiln usage
i am a trained silversmith and like to mix materials.
  ;D

Redhotsal

It would get hot enough for PMC3 but not ceramics. Think it does around 700C max, so you'd be better off with an "all rounder" kiln like the Paragon SC3. I believe Kilncare have a new kiln out but I don't know it's max temp . Their smaller Beadcube will get to those temperatures but the chamber is relatively small (but it's cheap to buy and to run). Don't hesitate to give Lee or Brian a call though - they are always helpful.

Flyingcheesetoastie

I've done PMC in the beadcube but the controller will only go up to 900c so too low for bisque firing ceramics.  You can't really fire it without the controller either, so using a pyrometer to get to temperature isn't an option.

Warm Glass UK

Most of our medium kilns like the Hotstart are about 50p per firing for a full fuse.

Flyingcheesetoastie

To add a comparision, my flatbed is about £8 for a 2 day paint firing to 700c and annealing for 10mm thick glass. It's 2x1m though!

Kaz

I think the Maxine works out to about 60-70p per time depending on whether I advance the programmer.
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!