Mapp gas

Started by catriona, July 31, 2007, 09:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catriona

Have been trying to get mapp gas from local diy stores but can only get own makes is that any good or should i keep looking .
thanks catrionax

Carol

I've seen some in B & Q in Kirkcaldy Catriona - think it was Bernzomatic but still MAPP & useable :) (It was also cheaper than the Plumb Centre)
Carol

glassworks

the homebrand stuff should be fine... just make sure it is MAPP gas - and try to get just one to try.. some have additives to help it stay liquid at low temperatures etc and that can cause "sooty" spots when burning off - not a problem if you're a plumber freezing your technical bits off in the northern winter - but not so good when encasing!!

;D ;D ;D

Redhotsal

Halfords or B+Q depot. The Mapp you'll get in this country is either US or German imported - Weller, Rothenberger or Bernzomatic. It needs to be "brazing" gas rather than propane and certainly not butane.  BTW You will never be able to get it in bulk in the UK.
Stop buying the silly things and go bulk propane unless you have pots of dosh.

Sarah

Quote from: Redhotsal on August 01, 2007, 11:10:00 PM
Stop buying the silly things and go bulk propane unless you have pots of dosh.

Couldn't agree more  ;D And even if you have pots of dosh bulk is easier (no pressure drop) and you'll have more pennies for glass  :)

turnedlight

Why is it ok to use bulk propane, but not smaller bottles?!
kathryn

glassworks

its not a question of being "okay" per se.. it is just MUCH MUCH cheaper to buy a single big cylinder...

the little mapp gas one also suffer a significant and rapid pressure drop as you use them, and due tot he rate the gas is used they often get covered in frost and stop flowing full stop!..

switching to bulk propane will transform your experience if you have only used mapp up till now, and in terms of cost the adaptor kit will pay for itself in a few hours of torch time".. i think most people who have switched would not dream of going back - purely down to the practicality and ease of use once switched!..

i think some of the posts might sound "positive" in the extreme - but i think most people are just so convinced switching is much much better!..

;D ;)

Redhotsal

You CAN use small canisters of propane - same size as the Mapp cylinders. They are around £3-4. You have to be very very patient and quite skillful and inventive, as it is very easy to burn/reduce the glass. I used to run a HH on a little propane cylinder. And you still get the pressure drop.
I'm not sure why a bulk propane set up is better - I think it may be something to do with the much higher pressure differentials. Either way, bulk is much easier and cheaper, so from one who has been down every possible avenue in the road to beadmaking (yes, I've even tried butane), do yourself a favour and go bulk.

catriona

I didnt want to go to the expence in case i cant take to it .thanks everyone for all your advice

cat

Carol

Carol

catriona

Ive pm,d you carol
catx