Oooh, new kiln arrived, do I need fibre paper?

Started by Kimster, May 24, 2012, 03:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Krysia@No98


When I got my kiln and I was doing the first batch annealing run I did it with all my utter fuglies that way if something went wrong it wouldn't be a disaster then I did the not so fuglies.

I've only had beads that I have put in too hot straight from the flame stick to each other.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Lee - Kilncare

GOOO-AAARRRNNNNN Kimster. Go for it matey. ;D

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Kimster

Quote from: Lee - Kilncare on May 25, 2012, 12:13:27 PM
GOOO-AAARRRNNNNN Kimster. Go for it matey. ;D


;D  ;D

All back on mandrels now!!!

Kiln on, heating up the room nicely   ::)

Jellybean

wow Kim I'm impressed you're doing it in this heat!!! I had to stop yesterday because I was melting!!
I want to see the results - so exciting!!  ;D

Kimster

Oooh so exciting! Kiln has finished its cycle (finally!) Felt like I was starting to get annealed myself in the heat...  ;D
The temp went down to 250... have just had a peek & all 89 beads still look intact... am I allowed to get them out yet, or do I wait till everythings gone back to room temp in the kiln - feels quite hot in there still, mind you so does my house  ;D 

Jellybean

wait wait wait!!! it's the agonising wait now.....
I usually wait until it's room temp by going to bed (early if necessary!!!) but I have got things out at 45C
Patience now....  ;D

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I've opened the door at around 100 and taken out when they aren't burny hot to touch - probably about 60. I don't even peek until they get down to 100 though!!!

Kimster

Dammit!! I opened the door about 5 times after they got down to 250, cos the program said 'end'..  :-[ How will I know if they're OK? If they don't crack? They're now on about 70....

Jellybean


Krysia@No98


clean them with a dremel, if they survive that, they'll survive anything.  But if some break, then they break and always will no matter how long you've been at making beads.

I tend to open my door at 100 too.  I would say that 250 probably isn't fatal, but doing to putting them in a metal bowl until they have been at room temperature.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

toodlesandbinks

ohhh I'm very impressed that you have got as far as firing with it .... I've yet to work out how to do the initial firing - but then again I'm a techno-retard.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Hugs
Kay
xox

Krysia@No98


the best advice I can give you it to ring the supplier and get them to talk you through the programming.  I didn't manage it and I would not consider myself technically challenged.  The supplier won't mind the call.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Kimster

Quote from: toodlesandbinks on May 27, 2012, 08:07:56 PM
ohhh I'm very impressed that you have got as far as firing with it .... I've yet to work out how to do the initial firing - but then again I'm a techno-retard.






It was all programmed for me by Lee at Kilncare...all I had to do was bung them in, switch on & press prog 1 or 2. And I still had 101 questions about it!! I ended up with 88 beads intact, only 1 cracked...but haven't yet dared clean them with a Dremel (only by hand...) Is yr kiln from Kilncare?

toodlesandbinks

I realised that it was programmed in and it didn't need an initial firing after I spoke to Lee.

Glad you had such good results, I am just working on getting something to anneal with mine.
Hugs
Kay
xox

Lee - Kilncare


TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732