Cool reducing vs hot reducing

Started by Hotglass28, February 19, 2010, 10:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sublimekate

Isn't funny how we all get different results  :D

I think your set up has a lot to do with it, whenever I've had a go on someone elses torch I feel all cack handed and like a newbie, anything different just throws me completely.

I actually find that the temperature of the bead at the point you reduce makes a huge difference. For example, if you reduce Aurea at the very tip of the flame after the bead has cooled quite a bit out of the flame you get the lovely soft pure gold finish, if you waft it (technical term) a few more times you get a heavier more sold effect and you get some pinks. If you reduce it when  the bead has a slight glow to it you get a much darker/deeper reduction, if you reduce it when it's really hot the aurea splits and goes streaky. You get cool effects whatever you do with it tbh, but when your making sets you just have to remember to do it the same way everytime  :D

I also found this with Psyche, the reduction effect varies depending on the temperature of the bead, it's certainly true of Ekho, I could go on all day but non of this may work for you if your set-up or preferred propane/oxy mix is different ot mine, although I think if you tried it you's see what I mean.

firedinglass

Propane up because on my carlisle minicc the propane would go out if i turned it down any more!  I have 2 oxy cons and find I'm still using them both turned to 4 in order to get a reasonable flame!  Also I'm not so keen on constantly turning the oxy knobs, they don't feel as robust as the knobs on the minor. :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Amber

This is very interesting! Like Shirley, I found it much easier to reduce on my Hothead than on the Bobcat, but there are some great tips here so I won't give up yet!  :D 8)