Punty?

Started by CrystalArt, February 19, 2010, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrystalArt

What do most people use as a punty?  I heard that pyrex rod was recommended, but can't locate any supplier, so thought of trying 6mm stainless steel rod (about quarter inch) - it's either that or boro, but as I use a hothead, I don't have any to hand.  Any suggestions or preferences?  I'd be very glad to hear what anyone uses!

garishglobes

Pyrex is boro :) It works well for some things because it is stiffer - but I'd say it depends what you want to do.
When I used soft glass, I never really got the hang of boro punties and much preferred just using a thicker mandrel. The only time I found boro helpful was for pulling ribbons, and even then a bent rod of 104 was often just as good.

Kaz

I mostly just use a rod of 104 - preferably a stiffer transparent and make a maria on the end (for murrini, cane etc.)
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

CrystalArt

Ah, thank you!  I never knew that (that pyrex is boro!!) - as they say, you live and learn. 

Steampunkglass

If you're using 104 glass I'd use a matching glass as a punty or a steel rod rather than boro; that way if you get any chips or bits of glass off the punty you won't have cracking due to incompatablility issues.

Dragonfire Glass

I got a few narrow rods from Martin, chop them into smaller lengths and use as puntys.
I like them for twisties as the end just pops off afterwards  :)

fionaess

Quote from: garishglobes on February 19, 2010, 06:32:10 PM
Pyrex is boro :) It works well for some things because it is stiffer - but I'd say it depends what you want to do.
When I used soft glass, I never really got the hang of boro punties and much preferred just using a thicker mandrel. The only time I found boro helpful was for pulling ribbons, and even then a bent rod of 104 was often just as good.

Even as we speak I am practising making ovenproof casserole dishes - as an alternative to beads  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Pat from Canvey

When I first started, not wishing to lash out on boro rods, I broke up an old pyrex dish to see if my torch could cope with it.

CrystalArt

QuoteIf you're using 104 glass I'd use a matching glass as a punty or a steel rod rather than boro; that way if you get any chips or bits of glass off the punty you won't have cracking due to incompatablility issues.

Many thanks for all the input - I'll try using a steel rod or 104 glass, see which works best for me.  I never thought of using the same glass, as I assumed the punty had to be harder than the working glass. But using 104 certainly makes sense, compatibility wise. Thank you, all!

turnedlight

I usually just use a trans 104, you can heat it and squish into a nail head shape to get more surface area, or the end of a thicker mandrel which often diconnects from the glass after you've pulled it, by itself.. but then I don't tend to make serious murrini, and I am prone to taking the lazy option! When I pull the rainbow ribbon, I 'paint' glass across the ends of all the colours and then attach that glass to the middle of the row of colours to pull.
kathryn