Lentil press problems

Started by awrylemming, May 01, 2012, 04:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awrylemming

Could somebody give me some help with my new press?  I bought a SS Lentil Trio from Maria Louisa at Flame Off, and it is the first lentil press I've ever had problems with.  I'm finding that it comes out looking like a normal lentil rather than straight sided, that it gives dimpled holes unless you fill them in which my old straight sided lentil didn't at all, and nor did any of those that I borrowed for a try - I wanted to know if there is a trick I'm missing with this one?  Before I give up and sell it!

Picture of duff lentils  :(

Bleugh beads by awrylemming, on Flickr

Madam Steph

I have the same one Sue, and I have to do the same as you.
The only thing I can think of to achieve straight sides is maybe fill it less, but it will definitely mean filling in the 'slotted' holes still

Linda x

helbels

One tip we learned on our course with Claudia at Flame Off is that rather than add more glass to make nice holes, instead try pushing some of the existing glass over with a knife so that you get the glass where you want it.

awrylemming

Seems a bit of a faff, when my Zoozii press didn't have this problem.  Hmmm, if there is no way round it, I may have to sell it. 

Madam Steph

BeeBeads

I have the same problem Sue.  I end up using a knife to push some glass nearer to the holes and I also end up with a ridge around the edge of the bead which I always have to polish out.  Don't know if it's me using too much glass or if it's meant to look like that  :D  I don't use mine so much as I much prefer my spree press which gives nice straight sides and I don't have to faff about at the holes.

awrylemming

I think this is the first one of Maria Louisa's presses that I haven't been really impressed with.  Wonder why this particular shape is a problem?  What make was your one?

Madam Steph

The ridge around the beads would indicate too much glass

L x

awrylemming

See, I don't have a ridge, what I have is sloped sides, which is what I would expect from a 'normal' lentil press, and which is why I purchased the straight sided.  Sigh.  And it took me ages to choose this press too.  :(

BeeBeads

Mine's Maria Louisa's too.
I put my problems down to user error  ;D

Linda, I've tried using less glass but I still get the ridge, I can feel the ridge in the manufacture of the press but I do think that it's probably the way I'm doing it!  ;D     I've seen pics of other peoples SS lentil beads and they look fine, no ridge.  Unless they're polishing them out of course  :D

Lotti

I don't have ridges with mine and found it alot easier to use than the normal lentil, I find it 'contains' the glass better and I like the holes.  I do find that I can now 'fill in' the holes if I want to (but I don't normally), by heating up the glass near the hole and pressing the press down over that area more (if you get my drift). 

BeeBeads

I agree, I definitely prefer Maria Louisa's SS lentil to the Zoozii's ordinary lentil.  I very rarely use that one now.
I think I just need to practice more and see if I can get rid of my ridge around the circumference of the bead  :D

Lotti

Quote from: BeeBeads on May 01, 2012, 06:35:10 PM
I agree, I definitely prefer Maria Louisa's SS lentil to the Zoozii's ordinary lentil.  I very rarely use that one now.
I think I just need to practice more and see if I can get rid of my ridge around the circumference of the bead  :D

Lots of gentle bathing in the flame so you don't loose the overall shape. :) (and of course not having too much glass, but I ALWAYS do that! :) )

BeeBeads

Thanks Lotti, I'll keep practising!  It's a very fine line between just about enough and then whoops! too much glass!  :D

awrylemming

So, it seems that it's a fab replacement for the Zoozii lentil press, but not really a particularly good straight sided press? 
It's going up for sale then.  I don't like 'normal lentils' too much, not sure why though!