black and white - help needed please

Started by ★★Terri★★, November 14, 2010, 02:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

★★Terri★★

I want to make some black and white beads - bumpies, spots, dots.....kinda thing.

I have Anise White and Intense Black (I think) which is ok provided I don't melt it in - raised black florals over anise seems to be ok
I have melted the black into the white to make little heart shapes but the outline is fuzzy and the black is going to a reddish colour at the edges.
I have made a black bead and stacked black and white dots and melted them down and the black totally swallows the white.

I have tried a little bit of Hades for the stacked dots, but that is swallowing the anise white as well.

Can anyone make a recommendation on a good white and a black combo that will stay nice and crisply seperate please ;D

hollergrafik

Just normal effetre black works well and stays crisp

MadelineBunyan

I always thought anise white was a semi translucentish one? either way, I no longer use it cause more ends up on my desk than on the bead!

I use CIM peace (I think, cause its supposed to be a bit stiffer?) or ordinary effetre white

havn't done any black and white for a while though and cant remember which was best combo.

SilverGems89

CIM Peace is the only white I use, its lovely and crisp and not soupy like the effetre whites!
As far as black goes I usually use the normal effetre black but this can look a little purple in small quantities on white, so I would use hades but work it cool because it webs similar to intense black if you get it too hot!

Kalorlo

Yeah, the problem is that you're using anise white not ordinary white. You can get some nice effects with anise, and you can make intense black or hades web well on it, but if you want crisp edges it isn't the one to use!

Redhotsal

Normal Effetre Black and normal Effetre White usually work okay. You'll get a better result putting white dots on black - sometimes normal black is not quite black enough and can look dark purple - though the last few batches of Effetre black have been just that - black.

When you start using intense it will crackle at the edges and if you use Anise white it will end up with a dark purple reaction in the middle.

Soupy? I've never seen Effetre white go soupy?  ???

★★Terri★★

Thank you everyone............got the anise and intense black early this year - when I was even more of a novice than I am now ::)

I've searched and searched for listings/info that describes the properties of various glasses and found some stuff on the Wikki and other places like LE.  I know new glasses are being added all the time, and batches tend to vary but perhaps it would help a bit if the manufacturers could include a bit of this kind of info.

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Quote from: Terri on November 15, 2010, 08:12:12 AM
I've searched and searched for listings/info that describes the properties of various glasses and found some stuff on the Wikki and other places like LE.  I know new glasses are being added all the time, and batches tend to vary but perhaps it would help a bit if the manufacturers could include a bit of this kind of info.

Plowden and Thompson gave me a pile of handouts which carry exactly this information - mostly put together by Jazzy Lily (I think, apologies if I'm wrong). I give a sheet out to each customer that buys the P&T glass, if they want it  ;D

Mand

I use Vetro black and effetre white which always give good results, though Vetro black can be a tad purply sometimes.

Have veered away from CIM Peace and Marshmallow as they explode all over the place on me.