Hello everyone, I am having a problem trying to add decoration to my beads without taking my Didymium glasses off, I am finding that I just can't see the clearly enough with some colours I am working with. I have to wear regular glasses for close work anyway so usually put those on instead. I don't really want to get in to the habit of doing this as I don't want to strain my eyes.
I do have a lamp that is pointed at the torch too to give me extra light, but it still doesn't seem to be enough.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Keren
If I am understanding you right to lampwork you take your normal glasses of to put didys on. If that is the case I guess the fine stringer could be out of focus. The solution would be either to get prescription didys.. cheeper got from the states... or a lampwork screen which goes between you and the bead but means you can wear your glasses...
If I've miss read your post I'm sorry.... the only thing I would advise is more light
What torch are you using? If it's a Hothead, you don't desperately need to use didy glasses, though it is recommended.
You can get clip on didys. They're not cheap and they're a little awkward as they're quite heavy. Tuffnell's sell them.
please please please always use protection for your eyes... they are the only eyes you get
Not to argue against that, because it's very true - but advice on didys and hotheads is very confused.
For instance, I have read a book that recommends not to use them as the flame is bushy and the didys blur out the flame, leading to burns.
burns heal.... glass when melting gives of visible and non visible light frequencies... these harm your eyes which dont heal
Hello again, I am using a Carlise Mini CC torch, and don't laugh here but i am wearing my didy's over my glasses, how lovely I must look!
I am contemplating getting a screen from Martin for Xmas from hubby as the balancing act is intensely annoying! perhaps this is why I can't see if others don't seem to have this problem.?
lol...need a photo of that... maybe a screen would be better
maybe theres something about where your light is and what direction its coming from, what type of bulb it is... all that sorta fun stuff
Err bulb... dunno - one that came with the ikea lamp, very small and impossible to buy if blows probably, what sort of light is best?
The light is on the right of my torch about a foot away, pointed at the torch area, I also have a set of spots overhead but behind me but all pointing in that general direction, you could almost land a plane in my shed, but it would appear not decorate a bead......
shucks
wow... thats a lotta light
the bulb thing.... when I've done embroidery I've needed a natural light lightbulb to see the colours properly... just a thought... no ideas otherwise
I can't lampwork without my prescription lenses so wore my didys over them for months.
Buying a screen made life so much easier - I highly recommend it :)
Sarah
xxx
Just to re-inforce the eye protection thing. Even if one thinks Didy isnt required then the very minium should be safety glasses to protect against flying glass. Any book that states eye protection isnt needed should not be taken seriously.
Plastic clip ons are available and light. Also look at oversize wrap arounds.
Ian
Thanks for the advice, i shall be looking at getting a screen and adjusting the light in the meantime to help with better focus, don't fancy an eye injury or damage at all!
When the hospital take things out of your eyes they do it while your awake.
Then you have weeks of eye drops that make your eyes blurry and you nose run
And if your lucky that will be the worst of it
I have glasses also and I use a screen from Martin, would not be without it. My ears hurt if I try and balance two pairs of glasses on them at the same time!!
I too wear glasses, and can't see anything without them so have to wear diddy's over them. I can't imagine how I'd manage to work without them though, I think there is more flare with a hot head then dual fuel.
Still hanging on in there with two sets of glasses, I am going to America for my summer hols - Chicago (I used to live there ) and am planning to get some prescription Diddy's made up and bring them back with me. Two sets of glasses is very annoying and one pair keeps slipping under the other and I really could do with a better solution. The screen is a great idea, but I still think that it would get in my way so am not convinced just yet. I don't need glasses for anything except for reading or close work, it is age related apparently, and fixable with an operation.......... but too scared to go there......
I wear an old pair of rimless specs under my diddy's but I get sore ears eventually, I also feel as though a screen would get in my way as I seem to juggle a lot.
I could wear contacts but my problem is mainly distance, I don't suppose it would help you for close up stuff? My husband has been trying to talk me into laser surgery for years but I just don't fancy it, what if it all went wrong :-\
Hope you get what you're after in Chicago.
Jo
I'm glad this thread has come up again.
I posted in the other didy one called 'safety at Towcester'
I did a course with Gail Crossman Moore from the States the other weekend, and she had stick on lenses for scuba divers.
They're dead cheap, and here's a link Vicki found for a UK supplier.
All you do is wet your didys and the plastic lens, stick it on and then dry them. They basically appear to stick on like the car stickers you can get, so they can be moved from place to place.
http://www.lensbase.co.uk/product.php?xProd=394&
Hope this helps save you loads of money! It's 3 pairs for £40
I' getting some when I have my eyes tested again. 8)
I would just like to say, although when buying my HH I was told that I didnt need to wear glasses, I decided to get them.
And I am so glad I did. One of my rods shattered when I put it in the flame. The pieces hit my face, and the glasses. If I hadn't had them on there is a good chance they could have gone in my eyes. I had a little burn on my face, so imagine what it would have done to my eyes!
I would never not wear them, eye sight is so important, and can't be replaced.
I have to wear contact lenses when bead making, is that an option? If you got daily disposables then it wouldnt matter so much in terms of price if you just wore them when you were planning a long sesh?
xxx
EDITED TO SAY.....
I just remembered, when I was at Harrogate bead fair Tuffnell Glass sold the coloured lenses which clip on to your glasses... like those old sunglasses used to, then you can wear your glasses and just clip these on and off! If I didnt get contacts I was going to get these.
https://www.visionarysupplies.com/detail%20pages/01-322.asp
This website sells them but is American. Couldn't find a UK site, but maybe Martin from Tuffnell could help?
You could subsidise the price by selling your old lampwork glasses.
xxx
Quote from: silverlemon on April 16, 2009, 07:30:51 PM
I did a course with Gail Crossman Moore from the States the other weekend, and she had stick on lenses for scuba divers.
I was practically panting with excitement over these, they'd be brill for swimming goggles as well, then I realised they only go up to -3.00. My eyes are -10.00 WAHHH.
That would be because they're mainly for reading style correction probably I suspect.
I wear contacts and now need reading adjustment, so these will be good for me hopefully to tweek my sight a bit.
I wear glasses, I worked soley on a HH for 10 months, I wore my diddy's over my glasses secured with elastic band.
I got in to a VERY bad habit of looking over my diddy's to stringer work, and because I though I couldn't see what was going on. My eye's deteriorated even over this short period and I got terrible eye strain that would take days to settle down.
I didn't even realise I was doing it half the time, I sorted out the lighting in my studio and that made a huge difference, I just never felt the need to look over the diddy's after that, and I don't do it anymore.