Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 10:15:01 AM

Title: Beige......???
Post by: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 10:15:01 AM
Does anyone know if you can buy beige coloured opaque glass?  Sort of weak coffee colour?

I've got some sage green opaque but it comes out too browny/green for me.  I could be doing something wrong?  I have seen some simple plain spacers (a lovely beige) on the web that say they are made with that colour, but mine don't come out like that?

I have tried mixing ivory with the sage green (first mixing experiment), but it came out crap, still too creamy and bubbled on the bead, must have burnt it, I guess.

Any thoughts, anyone???  ???
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Mary on September 09, 2008, 10:21:01 AM
Handmade colours do vary from batch to batch. Avocado,maybe? It is quite similar to sage, but not as green.
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 10:23:37 AM
Quote from: Mary on September 09, 2008, 10:21:01 AM
Handmade colours do vary from batch to batch. Avocado,maybe? It is quite similar to sage, but not as green.

Yes, tried that one too, Mary, thanks - same result if not a little darker
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Mary on September 09, 2008, 10:32:17 AM
What about CIM khaki? Is it too pale?
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 10:35:50 AM
Looking at the picture of it, it looks too pale - however, I have ordered some just to see!  Waiting....waiting ...for the postman......!!!
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Nikki on September 09, 2008, 10:50:23 AM
Hi

I got a nice caramel colour from CIM "Canyon de Chelly" it might be worth a try.

Nikki
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 11:17:07 AM
Thanks Nikki, might have to give that a try....

The first picture is of MY Effetre sage green rods and the other picture is taken from Frantz Art Glass listing for "Sage Green Premium Opaque" - which is the sort of colour I am after  - what does the "premium" mean?  Is it a photography problem and that pale beige is not the colour you get?  Or is just a supply thing - maybe the next time I order I get a different shade?

Thanks everyone!

(http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii32/finishingtouchjewellery/SAGEGREENSMALL.jpg)   (http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii32/finishingtouchjewellery/SAGEGREENFROMFRANTZ.jpg)
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Kaz on September 09, 2008, 11:32:20 AM
There's also CIM Stoneground (very nice glass) and Reichenbach Caramel (got this but not tried it).
I think the problem with sage and colours like that is that they are handpulled and it is like buying knitting yarn - if they are from a different batch they can be a completely different colour.
Kaz
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 11:36:44 AM
Quote from: Kaz on September 09, 2008, 11:32:20 AM
There's also CIM Stoneground (very nice glass) and Reichenbach Caramel (got this but not tried it).

More to add to the shopping list then.....! :)

You wouldn't believe how much glass I have bought recently, and I still haven't produced anything worth looking at!!!!
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: clasicat on September 09, 2008, 11:44:26 AM
Quote from: Kaz on September 09, 2008, 11:32:20 AM
There's also CIM Stoneground (very nice glass) and Reichenbach Caramel (got this but not tried it).
Reichnbach Caramel comes out alot darker than that - well it does when I use it away lol
(http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o101/craftycat_album/clasibead023.jpg) I think this is it mind you could be wrong cos I tend to just grab rods of glass and don't look what I'm using  ??? 8) ;D
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Mary on September 09, 2008, 12:22:49 PM
I get darker colours from Chelley, and tan or gold rather than beige from Stoneground.

The problem with hand pulled is, like Kat says, every batch is different. Even some standard colours like coral can vary hugely, I've got everything from dusky pink to orange in coral!
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 02:00:16 PM
Maybe I need to order another batch from a different place and keep my fingers crossed!!! 

I just realised that my batch of sage green looks like the colour of diahorrea - equivalent to the type of beads I am making then!!!   :D   
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Mary on September 09, 2008, 02:05:44 PM
You could e-mail Martin or Q or whoever, and ask about the colour before you order. Save getting more of the same!
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 02:20:59 PM
Quote from: Mary on September 09, 2008, 02:05:44 PM
You could e-mail Martin or Q or whoever, and ask about the colour before you order. Save getting more of the same!

That's a good call, not bought any glass from Europe (just the US), so will need to check shipping rates to Oz.

Just looked on Martin's website, and can't find sage green opaque.  But it is on Q's, so might drop him an email.

Thanks everyone for your help - if anyone comes up with a better alternative for a "beautiful beige" in the future, please let me know!!

Steph
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: glassworks on September 09, 2008, 03:25:14 PM
i'll make some paddles of these colours and also some of the odd and no-lot vetro's we've got and see if anything tickles ya fancy!....
;D ;)

Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Redhotsal on September 09, 2008, 05:37:58 PM
Some of us were having a laugh about this colour the other day....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310071060837

How anyone thought that "mystic" was an apt description of "beige" was completely beyond us.....!

Whatever next - "Exhilarating Fawn"? "Vibrant Grey?" .......  ???
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: sparrow on September 09, 2008, 05:42:00 PM
LOL, I've got the Mystic pink......it does do some internal pink-on-pink veining (if that makes sense)
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 10:42:53 PM
Quote from: glassworks on September 09, 2008, 03:25:14 PM
i'll make some paddles of these colours and also some of the odd and no-lot vetro's we've got and see if anything tickles ya fancy!....
;D ;)



Thanks Q, you are a star!

Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: littlegiggles on September 09, 2008, 10:45:26 PM
caramello... is kinda a beige which I think is either vetro or lauscha... came from Q anyway
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Kaz on September 09, 2008, 11:07:31 PM
Quote from: Redhotsal on September 09, 2008, 05:37:58 PM
Some of us were having a laugh about this colour the other day....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310071060837

How anyone thought that "mystic" was an apt description of "beige" was completely beyond us.....!

Whatever next - "Exhilarating Fawn"? "Vibrant Grey?" .......  ???
"Thrilling Taupe", "Magic Mushroom", "Scintillating Stone"
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Les on September 09, 2008, 11:08:59 PM
Orgasmic oatmeal :P










*I'll get me coat*

:P
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Mary on September 09, 2008, 11:10:23 PM
Mmmm, I'd buy that, Les!
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Les on September 09, 2008, 11:13:13 PM
Me too actually :P
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Kaz on September 09, 2008, 11:16:38 PM
Can you eat it ???
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 11:22:33 PM
Fabulous Fawn......that's the colour I'm after.

You guys are burning the midnight oil!!

Steph
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Les on September 09, 2008, 11:28:46 PM
Quote from: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 11:22:33 PM


You guys are burning the midnight oil!!

Steph

It's the insanity, latent in all beaders that does it I think .... :P
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Vicki on September 09, 2008, 11:29:53 PM
Quote from: sparrow on September 09, 2008, 05:42:00 PM
it does do some internal pink-on-pink veining (if that makes sense)

:o :o

Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Les on September 09, 2008, 11:30:58 PM
now how on earth did that one get past me ?? !!! I must be getting slow in my old age :P
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: Dee Dee on September 09, 2008, 11:33:15 PM
Quote from: Vicki on September 09, 2008, 11:29:53 PM
Quote from: sparrow on September 09, 2008, 05:42:00 PM
it does do some internal pink-on-pink veining (if that makes sense)

:o :o



oooh errr missus!
Title: Re: Beige......???
Post by: flowerjasper on September 09, 2008, 11:33:40 PM
 :o
oooh matron!