Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: turquoise on August 30, 2008, 08:45:11 PM

Title: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: turquoise on August 30, 2008, 08:45:11 PM
The other week I bought a heap of bags of different colours of the pixie dust. Anyway every beads I make with is looks horrible.

The first batch the dust kept coming off all over the place for days. So this batch I tried to melt the dust in more, they still look really grim?

  ??? ??? :-\ I love these type of beads but can't stand my ones.
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: Trudi on August 30, 2008, 09:40:27 PM
I think that you're only meant to heat it very slighty onnce it's on the surface or it burns off?

Have you tried encasing it?
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: turquoise on August 31, 2008, 11:29:02 AM
oh, no I have not tried encasing it maybe will give that a whirl. ;D
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: Katerina on August 31, 2008, 03:39:47 PM
Quote from: turquoise on August 30, 2008, 08:45:11 PM
The other week I bought a heap of bags of different colours of the pixie dust. Anyway every beads I make with is looks horrible.

The first batch the dust kept coming off all over the place for days. So this batch I tried to melt the dust in more, they still look really grim?

  ??? ??? :-\ I love these type of beads but can't stand my ones.
oh where did you find it? I was looking but google suggest only fairytale storeys....Is it UK shop?(i hope)
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: turquoise on August 31, 2008, 03:43:50 PM
yes, I got it from Creative Glass it is lovely stuff you get lots of little bags of it in a variety of colours. You will need some little pots of keep it in though. You need to phone up for it, I will PM you the tel no.
Vicky
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: Trudi on September 01, 2008, 07:57:07 PM
ohh - i've not heard of them  - just tried to google and a few came up, but connection must be bad as I can't get onto them (fine on here though!)

I'll never be rich!!!
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: Chameleon on September 01, 2008, 08:16:16 PM
how have you been using it ? I make a bead, shape how i want and with the bead warm but not too hot roll in the dust, heat gently to make sure it stays on. you can then encase at that point or add more decoration or whatever ?  ;D
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: Trudi on September 01, 2008, 08:37:08 PM
I just had another look for the site, but couldn't find pixie dust??????????

Can you post a link to it please - thanks!
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: Steampunkglass on September 01, 2008, 08:41:09 PM
I hope I'm not showing my newbie ignorance here.... 'Pixie dust?' I am assuming this is mica powder?

I have a little stash of it from my days working in art shops and flogging gold leaf, and have tried using it onto beads with quite good effects. I sprinkle  a little onto a clean bit of metal, then once the bead was shaped and cooling rolled it into the dust shich gave a nice iridescent effect. Matching the rod colour to the right mica powder worked best, i.e. red pearl over red gass, green pearl over dark grass green was my favourite. I did try wrapping into beads but the effect was fairly naff, didn't really do much for me. I would show off my awful beads with a pic' but my camera batteries died! Hope this is of help, even if  am talking about the wrong thing! :-[
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: Trudi on September 01, 2008, 08:59:16 PM
Hi

Yes Mica powder is the same as pixie dust!

Have you tried gold leaf on beads yet??

T x
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: Steampunkglass on September 01, 2008, 09:18:55 PM
oooh yes! I haven't worked with gold leaf as much as I should, I wasted a lot when I first started out! -I hope that doesn't make me sound pretentious or rich, I just had a lot of 'scrap' left over from gold leafing when I used to do a bit. I found the spangles actually gave a better effect than using raw leaf, I've seen so much of it in cheap beads in some of my local shops I was put of the effect abit. I loved the effect wih copper leaf I found here in the tutorials (I think it was Beady Sam's??? Ta for that one!) as I couldn't get copper to do anything except look black until I read that, and after going mad a few years ago an copper leafing a door I had quite a lot of scrap bits left over......ooops! (I was bored one evening, it it seemed more fun than corrie!)
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: Steampunkglass on September 01, 2008, 09:44:30 PM
Ok, managed to get camera working, here's some fairly rubbish beads, but hopefully shows the effect; the cylinder is purple rolled in mica, then encased- didn't realy do much except where the mica ended up on the surface to give the frosting effect. The drop was dark opaque red covered with red pearl luster(mica) which gave a 'Barbie pink' so got thrown in the reject jar! The bottom of the bottle shape is rolled into green pearl over dark green glass which does give a really nice metalic silver/green finish. Hope this inspires someone!

(http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq8/DendrobiumGLENN/micasmall.jpg)

Glenn :)
Title: Re: Why does the pixie dust look so grim?
Post by: Katerina on September 01, 2008, 10:06:57 PM
i like it :) !!!
will try it when i finish my "tornado battle"