Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: Funky Cow on August 25, 2008, 11:05:53 PM

Title: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: Funky Cow on August 25, 2008, 11:05:53 PM
I have some Lauscha brown, which I love when made into beads, BUT every single one of them is pitted  >:(
I just cannot get it to behave properly for me. It's quite a stiff glass, and worked higher in the flame I'd be another year older before I'd have enough to make a small bead  >:(

In case anyone else has some, this is what the rods look like:

(http://www.lauschalady.com/lauschalady/ubrown.jpg)

Anyone got any suggestions?
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: Magpie on August 25, 2008, 11:13:28 PM
Sorry, no, just butted in to ask why some rods are stripey?
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: LesleyMac on August 25, 2008, 11:14:15 PM
That looks to me like Laucha chocolate brown but marbled.  I love it as well but mine is definately just the one solid colour, I do have some marbled laucha but not in chocolate so I can't tell if its because of the marbling that you are having a problem, sorry can't be more help.
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: Funky Cow on August 25, 2008, 11:17:20 PM
Yes it is marbled, and the finished beads are gorgeous swirly confectionery collection of browns and creams - but all pitted, so no good for sale  >:(
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: Mary on August 25, 2008, 11:19:42 PM
I have a few of the marbled ones, but not that one, sorry. Perhaps try changing your flame? More reducing, or more oxy?
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: Billie on August 26, 2008, 07:09:41 AM
Is that one of the lauscha kryolith colours?  I had a rod of green that had the identical layering from a sample pack and it was gorgeous. Fantastic for tree beads. Didn't have any pitting problems with the green though :-\  I have the oxygen a touch high on my minnow though and work high...
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: glassworks on August 26, 2008, 08:03:10 AM
we've not had pitting with our sticks of this colour before either, and it is definitely a lauscha kryolith colour.. try working it quite cool till you have  a decent amount of glass on... then heat it to snot - keeping a nice shape obviously!... once done, throw some lauscha clear over the top to encase, or try to etch the plain bead...

in lauscha the girls working in the factory area really REALLY heat the glass far more than i would at home... seems to work for them.. they use propane/air/oxy mix torches that seem very large in comparison to the minor etc... they also seem to do a lot of off madrel work shaping things like devils and insects etc..
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: LittleHen on August 26, 2008, 09:40:22 AM
I have an orange version of this and I hate it, it bubbles and is really horrida nd shocky, I wll wait until I'm more experienced before I attempt to use it again, but I can't help but feel that with the large range of glass that's out there I've got a big enough choice without using the stuff I find hard to work with.  In my case try, try and then give up... :P
Let's see the beads, Jessie ;)
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: Funky Cow on August 26, 2008, 10:33:55 AM
Quote from: glassworks on August 26, 2008, 08:03:10 AM
then heat it to snot

How very technical Q  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks all, I'm determined to beat the pitting - will post how I get on!
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: Chameleon on August 26, 2008, 11:04:16 AM
I have the orange version and its lovely comes out all flame like, i generally work quite cold so i find it quite slow but i dont have any probs with it pitting
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: LittleHen on August 26, 2008, 12:01:32 PM
Quote from: chameleon on August 26, 2008, 11:04:16 AM
I have the orange version and its lovely comes out all flame like, i generally work quite cold so i find it quite slow but i dont have any probs with it pitting
I must be too impatient and heat it too quickly, when I have a bit more time maybe I'll go back to it...
Jessie
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: Chameleon on August 26, 2008, 12:28:46 PM
As Q says they work it hot at Lausha, maybe its one of those very hot or very cold colours ? hope you get it to work anyhow looks like it will be gorgeous
Title: Re: Lauscha chocolate brown
Post by: littlegiggles on August 26, 2008, 01:36:12 PM
My experience wit this one is that it pits like anything... it seems to like really hot.  Means that anything I've pressed which needs flame polishing pits but round beads which I can heat like snot :) then let gravity shape behaves... I love the effect but everytime I forget.... the pitting does disappear if you get it hot enough then shape