I've been pondering this - essentially, I get 1-2 hours torch-time a week, and pretty much zilch time for photography and photos. I realise in order to get noticed, you've got to keep updating your shop, etc. - with swaps and presents and stuff (and fuglies ;)), I'm lucky if I produce 1 or 2 beads to sell a week.....I'd love to go down the sculptural flower route, but they're so big, they need to go to the post office for posting. I'm come up with a few options I could think of........any comments/ideas/thoughts??
- List only 1-2 beads a week.
- Wait and list a few more beads once a month
- Shift everything to ebay, time ends for times I can get to post office (Friday/Saturday)
- Put up pictures of scupltural flowers on web site and do those on a commission-basis
- Stop selling
- Collect everything, put all eggs in one basket, and do a Christmas fair (or similar).
- Take the shop down and only supply the galleries I work with in Sheffield (which don't sell anything, so I should be able to keep them supplied ;)
- Stop experimenting, so I don't progress, but produce more sellable beads in the same time-span.
...?
Hi Sabine!
Fairs are a nice option if you like doing them. I love it, a friend ofmine hates it and stopped going with me - she now sells on ebay and etsy.
If you are not the person for fairs, then I would do the "List only 1-2 beads a week" thing. I think it is better to update more often, even with not so many beads, than to wait until you have more and be forgotten in the meantime.
And you can do the commission-basis besides fairs and / or an internet shop.
What I think you should not do:
* stop selling you beads
* stop experimenting
* take down the shop
Good luck with your sellings!
This is a difficult one and something that all of us doing this as a hobby/sideline rather than a real business face. I think it is about being honest with yourself about what you expect from it and what you want the outcome to be. My own position is that I am usually able to devote upwards of 8 - 10 hours a week, which means I can make 2 or 3 sets (or so) for selling to keep me in glass and then still have time to play with glass aand experiement and produce odds and ends and stuff for swaps. I also sell my odds and ends at a realistic price if they are not really fugly or wonky and people have been pleased with them. I know I cannot make a living from it - or at least not a living that comes anywhere close to what I earn from my consultancy business - therefore I am being pragmatic about my expectations - that may change over time as my circumstances change. Ideally, I would like to build up a bit of a following so that the demand for my beads outstrips the supply and I can risk charging a bit more for them. My longer term aim is that this is something I will take with me into semi-retirement and retirement and that it might earn me a few quid a week towards bills and food shopping. Ultimately, I will offer teaching - when I have reached a stage where I am sufficiently confident to do that. It is the same dilemma in a way that Julie mentioned in another thread - what do you do when you want to increase production but there are only some many hours in the day and one pair of hands. My own view is that upping production will not work, it is only by upping quality and commanding higher prices for your work that would make it sustainable. Remember, Sabine you belong to you (thanks Jane :)) and it is up to you to work this in a way that suits you, not what you think other people might expect of you.
On a practical level, my own position is to list batches of beads on ebay on a less frequent basis and also keep my "better" beads on my website at a higher price.
HTH
Kaz
BTW I am bored stiff here in Doncaster!!!!
Everything Verena said! Oooh, and Kaz too, I'm not typing fast enough!
I don't think I have the temperament for fairs, but if you do, they seem to be a good outlet. The commissions idea is brilliant, and then you could save the rest of the time for experimenting/growing. Even for one or two beads a week, people will check your shop. What you mustn't do is stop!! :-))
Are we all in a pondering mood today ;D
I DO NOT think you should stop selling! Having said that, I do think you should really look at whether it's feasible for you right now. I've had to do this myself recently and have closed my Fired Silver ebay shop for now. My time is really limited - probably for the same reasons as it's limited for you ;D and I had to work out what was important with regards to my "business". Supplying other people so that they could be creative I decided wasn't important at this stage. I was spending my free time packing orders.
I think listing a couple of things a week is a good idea, I think it's good to see a change in a website even if it is only a couple of things. If someone doesn't go to your site for a couple of weeks, they'll notice more of a change.
Putting things up for commission is great - but do you have the time make the commissions if you suddenly get 10 in one week?? I've got a commission that I'm really behind on and it's stressing me out big time!!
I've just listed on ebay for the first time in a while and I'll probably have more beads going on there soon. They go on when they're finished and I can set the time for the auction to end (as you said to get to the PO so that people aren't kept waiting).
In terms of experimenting - decide what it is you want to get out of your business. Is it to make extra cash (profits) or is it to simply sell off beads that are taking over your house and get some money in to buy more glass with!! If it's the latter then experimenting doesn't get in the way of that. If you need your bread and butter beads and are limited for time then it's a difficult choice! I spent most of last year making things that I knew would sell and consequently didn't really experiment very much. I've changed direction a bit this year now and have a list of challenges pinned above my workstation. I flit between making to sell and challenges.
It's really difficult to fit everything in - especially with young children. I've written a sort of business plan for this year to try and get all of this sort of stuff out of my head. I've got a new business idea which I think will be really popular but it needs quite a lot of work to develop it to the point where I'm ready to launch. Breaking everything down is (for now anyway!) helping me to stay focused on that business plan and tick the jobs off. But then I need lists!
I've rambled again - 2nd time today! Hope it's been of some help - I'm sure someone more useful will be along soon ;D
Rebecca
Thanks everybody :) I'm rather low on a lot of fronts at the moment (especially work-work), so I'm trying to get sorted what I can.
Well, I haven't updated my shop since I started work, I think (4 months), and I might have made £20 in that time (sold, that is, not profit, obviously). I don't mind pouring in more money than I make, it is a hobby, and I don't really want added pressure (family & job take care of that). Having said that, I enjoy having a happy customer, so I don't mind commissions (having only ever had 2), a paying one is even better. I think I'm more after the buzz of a sale than the money. I think, looking at it critically, my prices are too high, so I'd possibly shift more if they came down. Maybe I'll list a few things on Ebay after my holidays, including a couple of flowers, because I've got no idea how to price them :)
Thanks again!
How you're feeling is totally understandable! If you ever want to let off steam feel free to PM me!!
Rebecca
Of course you missed one option Sabine.
You could just send everything you make to me. And I will love them and stroke them and eventually make them into stuff....
Seriously, don't stop any of it! I suspect you'll find that everything will find its own level in time, and it will all fall into place. As long as you're not depending on sales for the income, then you should only do what is fun to do. I think commissions could be a good idea - as long as you limit how many you take on, and don't end up hating them!
I will never a successful at the selling thing - I can't bear doing fairs (I end up wanting to give things away if people like them!), and I dislike face-to-face selling. I lack the confidence to trog round the galleries (though there are plenty around here, and most are full of expensive tat). Plus I can't be bothered with all the networking, blogging, site updating, multiple shopfronts blah blah blah stuff that seems to be required. So I remind myself that I do this for fun as well - and try to let it be a self-funding hobby that also challenges me on both a technical and creative level.
Don't let how you feel right now stop you making things though - you are far too talented, and, more importantly, I think you'd miss it. One of the things I learned after 20 years in an increasingly technology-dominated so-called creative industry is the value of making things with our hands and minds. There are few things as satisfying, and liberating, as to be able to turn a bunch of ordinary looking raw materials into something of beauty - even if only to our own eyes.
Wherever did all that come from.....;)
I agree with everyone, and like you Sabine, I only get a couple of hours a week if I'm lucky. It's more like 4 to 6 hours a month. I've found over the last few months though that all I've worked on is commissions which has allowed me to get most glass restocked and some tools I really wanted. My website hasn't been updated for three months and is unlikely to be until after the summer holidays are over. To keep myself in people's minds I've been doing the odd giveaway, try to keep pictures current on Facebook and Flickr and blogging (although that has also fallen by the wayside since the end of June too). Until Ruby also starts nursery in the mornings after Christmas it's impossible for me to make enough to update my site monthly, let alone weekly :D :D At the end of the day I refer to myself as a semi-professional as this is a self funding hobby until the girls are in school full-time and all money I make buys fresh supplies so I try to take my frustrations of not getting to the torch very often out on the furniture by kicking it hard occasionally. One day the money I make might fund a holiday!!!
I'm pretty small scale, when the boys are at school I get more time & probebly get 2 - 4 sets on ebay a week, possibly a few more simple sets on the website & maybe some comissions, I always have enough to pay my credit card that funded the whole shabang & some left over for materials or whatever, I'm paying the bills, but it keeps me quiet, of course its the holidays at the moment & not much is getting done. I would like to do fairs someday, but don't get the time to stock up a full table, I think I spend to much time fannying about trying to think of new stuff & failing :D i think in an ideal world we would add things to our website everyday to give 'em stuff to look at, but people still seem to look at mine even though it doesn't realy change from one day to the next, maybe if the holidays lasted longer it would be a different matter...I've never been good at selling myself, thats my biggest problem ::)
Well, Vicki - you may be interested to know that before I joined FH, I was quite active in an ebay jewellery group - Designers E-Guild - and your name came up regularly as one of the top lampwork beadmakers in the UK!!!!
Kaz
See Vicki. One of the UK's top lampworkers needs to have a bespoke knobs section on her site ;)
Quote from: Kaz on August 13, 2008, 02:56:22 PM
Well, Vicki - you may be interested to know that before I joined FH, I was quite active in an ebay jewellery group - Designers E-Guild - and your name came up regularly as one of the top lampwork beadmakers in the UK!!!!
Kaz
did it? well bugger me :o
Quote from: Billie on August 13, 2008, 03:01:30 PM
See Vicki. One of the UK's top lampworkers needs to have a bespoke knobs section on her site ;)
your comment made me chuckle, you should check out the picture i just uploaded onto face book ;D
Quote from: Billie on August 13, 2008, 03:01:30 PM
See Vicki. One of the UK's top lampworkers needs to have a bespoke knobs section on her site ;)
your comment made me chuckle, you should check out the picture i just uploaded onto face book ;D
[/quote]
OOOooh, off for a look!
Blimey!!!! I need a cold shower :D
:D :D me too
You're all sweeties :)
I'm not after sympathy or back-patting, honest, just kind of wondering what to do with myself. I think I'll blunder along as I have been, then take it from there after the holidays. I've also got most bits of jewellery I did for the gallery a while back (though I gave quite a few away afterwards, LOL), I'm just not sure if I'll get in trouble if I now list them on my site for less than the gallery would have sold them for (it didn't say anything like that in the contract I signed...)
What I really need is for a certain big publisher out there to tell me I got that book contract I've been chasing for over a year, cried over, had sleepless nights over, and pulled my hair out. And then I'll know what's what again, and I'll re-find my place in the world *sigh*
Sorry if that made no sense at all, LOL - I know you love me anyway ;D
Quote from: Billie on August 13, 2008, 03:01:30 PM
See Vicki. One of the UK's top lampworkers needs to have a bespoke knobs section on her site ;)
we all need one !!!!!!!
:o :o :o
:P
Ah Sabine, you do sound like you're floundering a bit!
If it helps, as a buyer not a seller, I like websites that up-date regularly even if it's only one or two items.
If you like someone's work you're always going to have a look!
I'm new, so I don't know if you've mentioned the book contract before, but I'm intrigued to know what it's about!
Aww Sabine, sorry to hear you are all in a quandry :(
My advice? eBay stuff if you don't make a lot - and keep them on long 10 day auctions. On your website link to your eBay auctions - so you have a double whammy of hits.
I've told you before, you do have something special when it comes to glass and you shouldn't give up. I think selling on eBay will do you good if you get nice big high bids etc. And I think your work IS good enough to get some good bids. As for how to sell on eBay, I've been doing it for over 5 years and can help you out and know all of the tricks, how to sell, when and where to sell etc.
around 80% of my buyers found me through eBay... and through no other means. I honestly think you would do well on it - you have the spark to stand out and get good bids.
Sabine, I know where you are coming from, I have torn my hair out trying to decide what to do.
I am going to get the website up and running again and will keep it updated this time. Last time I didn't do this and felt under pressure to produce the beads. Now I have a large stock at the back of me and feel ready to try again.
Like Kaz, I am looking at the long term, and hope to have the lampworking as a retirement thing and I would love to get into the fairs.
I think the best thing to do is to take it steady, dont put yourself under pressure, it doesn't help :) get the website going again and who cares if you don't sell much at least your name is being seen.
Your beads are fab, you need to show case them :) :) :)
Awwww :D Thanks Claire & Ilona :)
Lesley, no I haven't, it's not bead related. I work for a university, and as part of my job, I'm trying to get staff-student partnerships in higher education off the ground. In my own specialised area, what I'm doing is making waves, empowering students and really making a difference to the education system. A year ago, I decided to put out a global call for chapters for a book on the topic. Since then, I've been in negotiations....the problem is, it's *so* cutting edge (only staff-student author teams were accepted), they're not quite sure what to do with it. It means the world to me....but there's never an answer, only more questions, no responses, delays. It's such hard work, and every now and then, I wish I wasn't so 'cutting edge', LOL. So......I'm stressed. I'm not sure how to explain this to anybody. I can make a difference here. A real, true difference to the higher education system, be the first to promote something at global level that could really influence the way staff and students work together...listen to me, LOL. No doubt it won't sell ;)
I'll shut up now :D :D
NO!! Keep talking.....the more people you tell the more people will know!
I wish I could help, but it's not an area I know anything about.
Someone else might though?
Hi Sabine
You've had loads of good advice so far :)
Only you know what you want out of this and where your priorities lie. Work that one out first.
What do you want to spend your time doing? Is it making beads or jewellery? And do you want to be repetitive or creative? Once you've worked that out then look at the best way to achieve it. And don't put too much pressure on yourself to achieve anything other than enjoying yourself. You have a full time job which no doubt delivers your fair share of stress.
For what its worth I've just started listing regularly on ebay - only one or two items a week. But its upping my website hits and my website sales have gone up too. Its very erratic sale price wise but overall I'm happy with what its doing. I also do the odd fair for jewellery but have give up trying to get a fair at a bead table in Southern England. The stress of nobody replying was more than I could cope with.....
Now go cuddle that little man of yours and stop beating yourself up :-* :-* :-*
Sabine, whatever you do don't stop making those lovely beads you create. All the good advise has been said so I can't add any more wise words. Enjoy your craft and take it forward at your own pace.
Okay *breathes*
I won't give up experimenting, it's fun. (I just had an hour in the garage, and created a 'leather jacket' bead.....but you might have to wait for the second attempt before I show it ;))
On Saturday, I'll list *something* on Ebay, for a 10-day auction, so it can run its course while I'm in Germany (which will be stressful in itself :-\)
I'll carry on focusing on fun and swaps, but will try to list a couple of things each week at least (I've got actually enough stuff lying around, I think....I just wish I liked doing sets :))
Thanks for listening :)
And Lesley: That book will get done sooner or later, I think the chances are good. It's just such a looooong, tiring fight, I hope I'll have the energy to edit it when it finally comes round :) Thanks for caring!
Keep making your beads Sabine, they're beautiful. :D
i don't make glass beads but do make jewellery and am experimenting with resin to make my own beads. I've just bought some silver clay too. I often feel like I'm experimenting and doing nothing with it after since i don't have a website and am too self-concious to approach shops/galleries. i enjoy craft fayres but can only manage if someone looks after my daughter.
So, I take my jewellery into work once every couple of months. it takes the pressure off feeling you have to make things for a deadline. I find then as well that every so often people ask me if i have something in a certain style or colour. i always say yes and then take along half finished things where i've run out of steam etc and chat about how they'd like it finished. That works well. I'm sure you could do something along the lines where you show your beads and then have people choose some for you to make up into a simply strung pendant. You'd probably find people will like what you class as an 'experiment'.
I find as well that if i do a cheapie range i can then splash out on a more expensive item now and again and really enjoy working with that. i also try and join some of the swaps cos it's a great way to work with lovely beads which i otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to do. (also everyone's very forgiving if you do run a little late with it ;))
Try not to beat yourself up about it. it's hard work with a little one finding time to have a bath, let alone make beads!!!
xSarah
Quote from: Sarah on August 13, 2008, 07:55:14 PM
Only you know what you want out of this and where your priorities lie. Work that one out first.
...
Now go cuddle that little man of yours and stop beating yourself up :-* :-* :-*
What she says! I found that there were some ambitions and enjoyments that I just had to put on hold for a few years while the kids were little - I had to accept that I had not got either the time or the energy given my other commitments.
I was brought up to think you could have it all. You can't. You can DO it all, but mostly you have to choose or you'll end up frazzled.
Good luck making your choices for this phase of your life!
As usual all the advice here is good Sabine, my twopennorth for what it's worth (2p) is that it's worth saving up your stuff and doing at least one Christmas fair that has a good reputation, that way you keep your hand in at a fairly pressure free pace. I did that last year and did very well and it paid for a lot of stuff that I just couldn't see how I was going to afford before. Secondly, this is something that you can always come back to at any time in your life, Toby won't be little for ever, having just spent myself, financially and emotionally on one of my baby's 21st party I'm only too aware how fast that time goes. It's the kind of thing old ladies say to you when the kid is 2 weeks old and you think "stupid old duffer" but it's true, blink and they're gone, but the torch will always be waiting.
I feel like I'm sermonising, but having been a reluctantly working mum, if I could have that time back, I would.
Go with your heart
x
That is so true Jane. My baby is 26 soon to be 27 and my oldest is 36 ::) eeek I don't often confess to that one :o
My advice is don't forget to enjoy every innocent minute of the growing up process as one day you turn around and wonder how they grew up without you noticing. It's hard when you are in the middle of organising and managing everything but so necessary to take a step back from time to time to see more than the minute detail.
As Jane says - the torch will still be there.
Well, I can't add anything to the already fantastic advice, ll I can do is echo all of the above. Its pretty amazing that you do as much as you do with a small baby! It won't take long before he is suddenly much more able to occupy himself, too, and you will find you have just a bit more time to list/organise/create. I think with life there are always patches where things bunch up together, and you just don't have the time to do everything you want/need to do. They feel eternal while you are going through them but looking back you realise just how short that time was. Not only will the torch still be there, but so will your talent in using it!
:) Awww....you guys. I got the beads and one bracelet for the swap sent off, so my swaps 'to-do' pile is shrinking. I'll list a couple of tings on Saturday - watch this space ;)
Thats the spirit ;)
Just don't ever stop.... it would be such a waste !!!
xxx
I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, so just sending you best wishes and (hugs) and hope some of your stressful stuff eases up a bit soon. Make sure you enjoy your holiday and get loads of relaxation! ;D