Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: Katerina on July 11, 2008, 01:57:00 PM

Title: looking for - Clear Glass easy to melt
Post by: Katerina on July 11, 2008, 01:57:00 PM
I am using HH and my last challenge is to learn encasing.
Not perfect yet. I got 2 nice beads with red and black shadow inside...Obviously I overheated my peace :-[

And now when I kind of started to understand HOW it's work I run out of the clear rods. Really it was a hard job to melt my clear glass...Any advice about which clear is ease to melt?  I had starter pack of Effetre, so do they have something special or can I use different glass with it?
Title: Re: looking for - Clear Glass easy to melt
Post by: afina on July 11, 2008, 02:30:44 PM
There is a Lauscha clear that is especially soft - to be used on a Hothead. No scumming, easy to melt. Great clear, only one batch had some issues, and it seems it shouldn't be overheated on a 2-fuel torch.
Title: Re: looking for - Clear Glass easy to melt
Post by: Pat from Canvey on July 12, 2008, 07:28:12 AM
I agree with Verena. I got mine from
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLEAR-Lauscha-Glass-Lampworking-Rod-Bead-Making-8-10mm_W0QQitemZ180234877205QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3099QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
You can buy one rod at a time to try before you buy more. They are 8-10mm thick though, but I like this size for encasing.
Title: Re: looking for - Clear Glass easy to melt
Post by: sublimekate on July 12, 2008, 07:43:43 AM
Hi Kat,

I'm a newbie so being very bold offering any advise at all, but I'm also on a HH and experienced similar problems with the clear I got in my starter pack. I foolishly ordered more of it and  had a bunch of problems, but basically it was just too hard to melt. I contacted Martin at Tuffnell and he recommended the new crystal clear 591006 he's stocking. I've used it loads, working it too hot and for too long but so far no scumming and much more success encasing etc.

Having said all that I'm going to try the Lausha that's been recommended next time I need some.
Title: Re: looking for - Clear Glass easy to melt
Post by: Shirley on July 12, 2008, 08:15:03 AM
Lauscha is beautiful. It can be used on the hothead but you have to take your time. I think it's worth it :)
Title: Re: looking for - Clear Glass easy to melt
Post by: afina on July 12, 2008, 08:28:15 AM
Just to make things clear: There are 2 kinds of Lauscha Clear: The "old" formula which is rather stiff but great for 2-fuel torches and a newer one called "Lauscha Soft", which is especially good for Hotheads and other propane-only torches.
Title: Re: looking for - Clear Glass easy to melt
Post by: Shirley on July 12, 2008, 08:35:26 AM
I've got the old. It can still be used with a hothead :)
Title: Re: looking for - Clear Glass easy to melt
Post by: Katerina on July 19, 2008, 07:34:19 PM
Thanks everybody, I got "new crystal" and waiting for the big buy of new Lauscha here on FHF
I like crystal though it is still a bit hard but much easer than I had before.
I love ENCASING   :)
Title: Re: looking for - Clear Glass easy to melt
Post by: Trudi on July 19, 2008, 10:17:50 PM
I'm on a dual fuel now - but the new crystal clear 591006 and it's lovely and clear. And in comaprison, it melts fast, so I would assume you'd have no problems using it on a HH!