Hi
Feeling very stupid asking this question but what is silvered ivory? I've seen lots of beads that have been made using silvered ivory but cannot find it anywhere.
Hope someone can help as it is driving me mad.
Nikki
It's not pre-bought :) You need a rod of ivory and some silver leaf/foil. I tear a strip of ivory from a sheet and lay it on my marver. Then I heat the end of a rod of ivory until it's glowing (but not too droopy) then roll the heated tip onto the foil, wrapping it around the end of the rod. I heat again gently so that I'm not burning the silver foil away, then once the glass is soft, pull it into a stringer. And there you have your silvered ivory :)
Alternatively, you can make your bead with ivory glass then roll that in silver leaf/foil and burnish off. Depends what effect you're wanting.
Hi
Thank you so much, I was beginning to think I was going mad.
All I need now is some silver leaf.
Nikki ::) ;D
Martin at Tuffnell's sells it, and you can probably find it on eBay too :)
It is soo cool , I made my first stringer of it a few weeks ago. I love it. I would buy some silver leaf for sure and give it a whirl. ;D ;D
Hi Nicky,
I've got a bit of silver leaf.. if you PM me your address I would be happy to send you a few sheets to play with.
Thanks Stacy have pm you with my details..
Nikki :) ::) :-*