Frit-Happens !

Technical Forum => Studio/workspace/setup/equipment => Safety/Safety Equipment => Topic started by: mad bunny on May 31, 2008, 02:43:49 PM

Title: Bead Release
Post by: mad bunny on May 31, 2008, 02:43:49 PM
Can you tell me what you do with your gungy bead release water when you have finished cleaning your beads please.

ie, do you just wash it down the sink? Or throw it down the drain outside?

It is not very nice stuff I know from reading the ingredients so I guess you clean beads in containers kept for just that job and would I be sensible to wear gloves rather than have my hands in the water while i'm doing the cleaning for any length of time.

Or am I just being paranoid?  ::)  Any advise greatly accepted.  ;D
Title: Re: Bead Release
Post by: flowerjasper on May 31, 2008, 03:01:53 PM
as i have never read the ingredients, i have never worn gloves and down the sink it has gone....oooops!
Title: Re: Bead Release
Post by: Lush! on May 31, 2008, 03:40:38 PM
On a really good day I have a *lot* of beads to clean up (!!) so I did worry a bit about letting all the bead release go down the sink, in case it sits in the u bend and gets cloggy

- so I always remove my beads from the mandrels, dry, over a piece of kitchen roll so I can put most of it straight in the bin.  Then I soak them in a jug of water but I don't worry about tipping the cloudy water down the drain.

Title: Re: Bead Release
Post by: Billie on May 31, 2008, 04:04:20 PM
Empty the bowl into a sieve and dump the gunk in the bin  :)
Title: Re: Bead Release
Post by: turnedlight on May 31, 2008, 06:13:06 PM
I crumble it off around the beads into a bin while it's still dry, then put the beads on the mandrels in a jar of water to soak, then what goes down the sink is very little.
Title: Re: Bead Release
Post by: Mary on May 31, 2008, 07:45:40 PM
I throw it onto the garden.
Title: Re: Bead Release
Post by: mad bunny on June 01, 2008, 10:17:57 AM
Thank you everyone.  I take the beads off dry on some kitchen roll and then throw it away.  I know it is not good stuff to be inhaling, so I am careful not to make any dust.  Just wasn't sure if I had to do anything special with the residue.
Title: Re: Bead Release
Post by: Pat from Canvey on June 01, 2008, 02:36:19 PM
The water's not poisonous, my cats drink it if they can get to it. I've finally succeeded in getting them to drink clean water and also not the dirty water in the plant saucers in the garden. It's full of rotting leaves and insect larvae.
Title: Re: Bead Release
Post by: Sherry Bellamy on June 04, 2008, 05:27:09 AM
I let the water sit for a bit, then pour off most of it down the drain. The solid bits remain at the bottom, and I toss those into the trash.