Frit-Happens !

Business / Marketing Advice and Tips => Put all your business tips, advice and questions in here => Topic started by: scod on November 24, 2015, 08:22:49 PM

Title: Insurance
Post by: scod on November 24, 2015, 08:22:49 PM
Hi, I am new to the forum so hope this message reaches somebody!  I have had a lampwork lesson and am looking to start making my own beads.  On hubbies advice(!) have contacted our home insurance company to see if there is a problem with cover if I work from the spare bedroom or study.  I have also offered to put a dedicated shed in the garden if needs be.  I am looking to do this as a hobby not to sell them.  They have come back to say they will not cover us and if I go ahead will cancel our insurance.  Can anyone advise on this and which companies are willing to offer cover.  Many thanks  Sue
Title: Re: Insurance
Post by: Zeldazog on November 24, 2015, 09:23:45 PM
Hi Sue, and welcome to the forum.

Insurance has been discussed many times on FHF.  You can have a look through the various boards, I'd expect other posts might come under Business/Marketing Advice and Tips, or maybe in the general discussion threads too.

However, an easy way to find all related posts is using the search facility, top right of the screen.  Enter your search word and it will bring up all previous posts using that term. 

SEARCH TIP:  Make sure you're at the 'top' of the forum (click on the logo, top right, or the words Frit Happens directly under the small advertising banners top left, below the navigation menu).

Can't answer your question myself as I am not a lamp-worker, but it has definitely been discussed in depth.
Title: Re: Insurance
Post by: scod on November 24, 2015, 11:26:49 PM
Thank you.  I will do a search and see what I can find.
Title: Re: Insurance
Post by: flame n fuse on November 28, 2015, 08:41:44 PM
It would be interesting to hear of any updated experiences regarding this.
Title: Re: Insurance
Post by: scod on November 29, 2015, 09:20:29 PM
Unfortunately not much to update and am no further forward.  Our insurance brokers are trying to find an alternative.  Apparently our existing insurers are able to accommodate kilns subject to certain restrictions however the use of a gas fed torch represents too much of a risk to them.  They have approached Aviva who have said a brick built garage would be their preferred choice.  We do have one but this houses the car, hubbies golf sticks plus lots of other bits and pieces so there would be no room for me, plus there is no window opener and would be exceedingly chilly with the up and over door open.  Am exceedingly frustrated as I would just like to start playing.  I am going to contact NFU as they have been mentioned previously on the forum but was in 2012.  Would appreciate any suggestions please. 
Title: Re: Insurance
Post by: Moira HFG on November 29, 2015, 09:41:21 PM
It doesn't seem worth cancelling your house insurance for a hobby.
What about your original idea of a shed?
Is there anyone working locally you could rent a bit of space from?
Title: Re: Insurance
Post by: scod on December 02, 2015, 10:40:14 PM
Hi,  I am pleased to report that NFU are happy to cover household building and contents and they have no problem with lampwork.  Their only criteria is that a Gas Safe engineer sets up the bulk propane gas with tank kept outside.  Now need to decide whether to set up in the house or put in shed in garden and be self contained.  Their policy is called household and lifestyle. 
Title: Re: Insurance
Post by: Shirley on December 02, 2015, 11:14:31 PM
I've had my policy with NFU for several years.
Title: Re: Insurance
Post by: Fluffstar on December 03, 2015, 08:53:19 AM
Quote from: scod on December 02, 2015, 10:40:14 PM
Hi,  I am pleased to report that NFU are happy to cover household building and contents and they have no problem with lampwork.  Their only criteria is that a Gas Safe engineer sets up the bulk propane gas with tank kept outside.  Now need to decide whether to set up in the house or put in shed in garden and be self contained.  Their policy is called household and lifestyle. 

Thanks for the update =) useful to know.  I've been freezing my toes off in the summerhouse this winter (and yes I know, it's not even proper winter yet!) so am definitely considering moving to the garage or conservatory when our insurance renews next march!  Until then, hats and scarves and hot water bottles...
Title: Re: Insurance
Post by: Trudi on December 04, 2015, 05:41:48 AM
Good on you!

If you fo go outside, before youget all set up invest in insulation!