Frit-Happens !

Business / Marketing Advice and Tips => Put all your business tips, advice and questions in here => Topic started by: alan on March 10, 2015, 11:33:43 AM

Title: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: alan on March 10, 2015, 11:33:43 AM
Hello,

I haven't been around for a while, but have been lurking in the background on occasions.

I have been asked to demonstrate lampworking at a craft fair next month so I feel I need public liability insurance. Does anyone know if the policy that comes with A-N membership for £36 a year covers doing demonstrations at a fair? - Are there any gotcha's?

Many thanks A

Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: Blue Box Studio on March 10, 2015, 03:29:02 PM
You can get hold of the underwriters and they will let you know, I think it might be an add-on?

Does this link help? http://www.hencilla.co.uk/unions/a-n/air/aip/  There is a contact us on the page.  They were really helpful when I spoke to them.
Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: alan on March 10, 2015, 04:36:33 PM
Quote from: Blue Box Studio on March 10, 2015, 03:29:02 PM
You can get hold of the underwriters and they will let you know, I think it might be an add-on?

Does this link help? http://www.hencilla.co.uk/unions/a-n/air/aip/  There is a contact us on the page.  They were really helpful when I spoke to them.

Thanks Sue. I will contact them to ask. Looking at the link you sent, the price for the policy is far more than the £36 quoted on A-N site, so not sure what's going on here.

A
Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: Dragonfire Glass on March 10, 2015, 05:10:33 PM
A-N membership won't cover anything with flames without a hefty additional premium.
Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: Shirley on March 10, 2015, 05:18:41 PM
Mine is with Ian Wallace. Includes selling, demonstrating and teaching. If you're only doing it on the one occasion it might be worth contacting them and asking.
Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: GaysieMay on March 10, 2015, 06:27:34 PM
Last time I asked AN insurers about it (can't remember name at moment), they said I was fine in my studio, but not elsewhere.  The add was going to cost £90, that was a couple of years ago.  I haven't bothered.  Following with interest though.
Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: Blue Box Studio on March 10, 2015, 06:30:19 PM
Quote from: alan on March 10, 2015, 04:36:33 PM
Quote from: Blue Box Studio on March 10, 2015, 03:29:02 PM
You can get hold of the underwriters and they will let you know, I think it might be an add-on?

Does this link help? http://www.hencilla.co.uk/unions/a-n/air/aip/  There is a contact us on the page.  They were really helpful when I spoke to them.

Thanks Sue. I will contact them to ask. Looking at the link you sent, the price for the policy is far more than the £36 quoted on A-N site, so not sure what's going on here.

A

Because a-n is a member's policy not a personal one.

Even my £800pa home and business cover will not cover me for demoing anything with a flame; that's with NFU.  I'm yet to find anyone who will cover it, i did ask as I was going to move my torch into my big studio for arts week, means I don't have to keep closing one and moving to the other, but can't find anyone who will cover so people can gawp at me through the window and wait whilst I shut one and open the other (else I can't see who goes in/out as I am exhibiting on my own).
Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: Tonyb on March 11, 2015, 12:45:25 PM
Quote from: Blue Box Studio on March 10, 2015, 06:30:19 PM
Quote from: alan on March 10, 2015, 04:36:33 PM
Quote from: Blue Box Studio on March 10, 2015, 03:29:02 PM
You can get hold of the underwriters and they will let you know, I think it might be an add-on?

Does this link help? http://www.hencilla.co.uk/unions/a-n/air/aip/  There is a contact us on the page.  They were really helpful when I spoke to them.

Thanks Sue. I will contact them to ask. Looking at the link you sent, the price for the policy is far more than the £36 quoted on A-N site, so not sure what's going on here.

A




Because a-n is a member's policy not a personal one.

Even my £800pa home and business cover will not cover me for demoing anything with a flame; that's with NFU.  I'm yet to find anyone who will cover it, i did ask as I was going to move my torch into my big studio for arts week, means I don't have to keep closing one and moving to the other, but can't find anyone who will cover so people can gawp at me through the window and wait whilst I shut one and open the other (else I can't see who goes in/out as I am exhibiting on my own).

Hi Sue. I'm interested in demoing at a fair, so mailed Hencilla and this is their response.

'Thank you for your email. We can advise you that if your artistic practice falls within the eligibility criteria for AIR membership through the A-N, then the insurance within the membership provides cover whilst the artist is undertaking activities such as lecturing, teaching or demonstrating visual or applied art including workshops, residencies and community projects.'

So, if you meet the criteria to join AN, then it looks like you are covered to demonstrate in your workshop for your arts week? Or am I reading this wrong.

But I don't think it answers my question about demoing at fairs?
Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: Blue Box Studio on March 11, 2015, 01:11:45 PM
Tony, Interesting as when I spoke to NFU they said not naked flames as there is a chance of me singeing someone (from behind a screen, clearly I don't count). I can't be faffed to decamp everything to my other studio now as I'd have to get a screen sorted as well and am out/away most free time until Arts Week, but worth knowing for another time.

People do demo at fairs, trying to think who demos at places like Art in Action .... someone must know.
Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: Lotti on March 11, 2015, 04:30:30 PM
Certainly a few years back when I was with A-N and wanted insurance to demo Hencilla gave me a mad quote to add this to my cover so I changed to Ian Wallace, (in the end I haven't been demo'ing and probably won't, but have stayed with them).  I am with NFU for home too Sue but got confused about the cover outside home so could be over insured (and don't talk to me about NFU home insurance at the moment, we are not the best of friends!).  Maybe the A-N thing has changed, personally I would go back to talk to them to double check.  Hope you get it sorted. :)
Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: Dragonfire Glass on March 11, 2015, 05:06:25 PM
I thought there was something in their terms and conditions that specifically excludes flames

article 8 in sub-section 1 - exclusions
arising from any special effect involving the use of fire or explosives or the use of pyrotechnics, other than the use
of flash paper, flash cotton or flash string.


and general exclusions
arising from or in connection with the use of any process involving the application of heat away from the
Assured's studio or normal workspace. This exclusion does not apply to the use of pottery ovens, kilns or the use
of any domestic appliance.
Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: alan on March 12, 2015, 03:43:11 PM
Thanks Colette. I think that nails it. You are not covered by A-N for any sort of flame when away from your home or work studio.

Colette also kindly told me that Ian Wallace cover demoing lapworking at craft fairs for about £80 per year.


A

Title: Re: Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair
Post by: Dragonfire Glass on March 12, 2015, 05:25:32 PM
It's actually £87 - I know because I renewed today :)