Frit-Happens !

Technical Forum => Studio/workspace/setup/equipment => Kilns => Topic started by: Barnacle Bay on April 30, 2013, 01:29:09 PM

Title: Dish For Batch Annealing Beads in a Small Kiln - I have One of These :+)
Post by: Barnacle Bay on April 30, 2013, 01:29:09 PM
Hi Folks,

I use this dish for batch annealing beads in my small kiln. Its not pyrex, but it is made out of Vitreosil Quartz Silica - mainly used as a crucible for melting gold & silver,
and will withstand 1050'C continuously, or 1300'C for short periods.

(http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u661/Oasis-sw/SilicaCrucible_zps4dfdcd06.jpg)
They also come in various sizes, though I have a small one 25ml (79mm diameter x 15mm high) and I was very suprised as to how any beads & pendants that I could fit in it & stack - approx 32 of various shapes and sizes, plus room around it for other bits & bobs.

Example of where to buy them, plus cheaper ones from China on same site:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110957209696?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170989409079?var=470234368794&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Hope this helps others who are looking for a safe dish  ;)

Cheers,

Louise
Title: Re: Dish For Batch Annealing Beads - I have One of These :+)
Post by: fionaess on April 30, 2013, 02:13:41 PM
I just use an old pyrex bowl from a charity shop - cost 80p  ;D
Title: Re: Dish For Batch Annealing Beads - I have One of These :+)
Post by: Barnacle Bay on April 30, 2013, 02:43:38 PM
Quote from: fionaess on April 30, 2013, 02:13:41 PM
I just use an old pyrex bowl from a charity shop - cost 80p  ;D

I couldn't find one small enough to fit in my muffle kiln & others may have the same problem finding one small enough  :)
Title: Re: Dish For Batch Annealing Beads in a Small Kiln - I have One of These :+)
Post by: Magpie on April 30, 2013, 04:46:24 PM
Could you use one of these?

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13253/Traditional-Enamel-20cm-Oblong-Pie-Dish

They come in 16cm as well but I can't link to that as they're not in stock, would that fit?
Title: Re: Dish For Batch Annealing Beads in a Small Kiln - I have One of These :+)
Post by: Magpie on April 30, 2013, 04:49:04 PM
Hang on, thinking about it I have some of these dishes, next time I fire up the kiln I'll put one in and let you know. Don't hold your breath though everything needs to get packed away this week for a family gathering.
Title: Re: Dish For Batch Annealing Beads in a Small Kiln - I have One of These :+)
Post by: Barnacle Bay on April 30, 2013, 05:22:13 PM
Quote from: Magpie on April 30, 2013, 04:49:04 PM
Hang on, thinking about it I have some of these dishes, next time I fire up the kiln I'll put one in and let you know. Don't hold your breath though everything needs to get packed away this week for a family gathering.

Far too big  :(

Though I am very happy wiv me little dish  ;D