Can anyone recommend a good black glass by good i mean a true black rather than it going purple when i melt it .
Thanks Catriona
There is an effetre hand pulled called intense black that is a true opaque black. I got mine from Quinton at glassworks. :)
the cheapest deep black is the vetrofond black - it is much darker then the effetre ordinary black and still works really well... there is also CiM hades which is a true black and indeed the daddy of them all is the effetre hand pulled "nero intenso"..
you can often "cheat" cheaper effetre black by pulling encased stringers with it - when it then stays much deeper black?..
I'm a very big fan of CIM hades - it works lovely in stringers and is stiffer than the effetre intense black - hence makign stringer work with it a bit easier.
Thanks for replies have now ordered some intense black from Q unfortunately finger slipped and ended up ordering a lot more things ::)
Ordered before your post clair i will try that next time because i need all the help i can get with stringer control cat xx
I definitely love intense black, but it does other tricks too - apply it in really thin strands over ivory or periwinkle (or other opaques) and heat. Heat it a bit longer, depending on your torch, and it will feather and web for lovely designs!
i'll slip a teensy weensy bit of the vetro and the hades in there for you to try too!..
;) ;D
Oh poo, why did you make me go to Quinton's website??????????? *sigh* I'll never get an oxycon or kiln this way! :)
SORRY :-*
CIM Hades also webs when superheated - and seems to make colours from Raku pop out a little more too...
Thanks Claire, got to try that!
Woo hoo i,ll be able to try that when i get my pressy in with my order from Q.
thanks for tips ladies .
xxcatxx
:)
I encase effetre cobalt blue with effetre cheapy black and pull stringers, and the black stays black.
BUT I have just discovered intense black and may never use anything else from now on!