Frit-Happens !

Business / Marketing Advice and Tips => Put all your business tips, advice and questions in here => Topic started by: Blue Kiln Beads on April 11, 2013, 09:39:44 PM

Title: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: Blue Kiln Beads on April 11, 2013, 09:39:44 PM
Apologies if this has been linked to already.  I found it an interesting read.  :)

http://ukhandmade.co.uk/content/business-different-approach-craft-fairs/
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: marklaird on April 11, 2013, 09:46:41 PM
That's a fascinating read and a new take on attending craft fairs. I have to admit that when I attend them, I have always tend to come away thinking that I haven't sold enough, but have never considered the impact that just talking to potential customers was having.

Many thanks for posting the link.

Mark
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: CarolB on April 11, 2013, 11:23:48 PM
I need to read this when I get home x thank you
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: Glassy Lou on April 11, 2013, 11:44:29 PM
I'm getting a "page not found" message :(
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: Nicknack on April 11, 2013, 11:51:31 PM
Quote from: Zen on April 11, 2013, 11:44:29 PM
I'm getting a "page not found" message :(

Me too.

Nick
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: DementedMagpie on April 12, 2013, 07:10:40 AM
Quote
I'm getting a "page not found" message :(

I was getting that yesterday, but it's working now.
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: Lotti on April 12, 2013, 07:12:54 AM
I got it last night, and just checked this morning and am getting it showing again.

Very interesting reading.  I would agree wholeheartedly with the networking points, I have made so many friends, so many contacts and found so many new openings through craft fairs and markets, without them I would never have found the studio opportunity.  I do think also doing regular ones if possible are good as the word gets out where you are.  Have flyers and also have info on where else you sell and which markets you are doing, people are always reading my sign. :)

I am finding things quieter on the day, but am also getting post fair/market contacts and contacts from friends of people who have seen me at markets.  I wouldn't stop going to mine, I have so much fun!  I am scaling down those that I go to now though and am being a bit more picky about them!  Off to my regular outdoor one shortly in the drizzle and wind, but can't miss out on a day out with my friends and you just never know who might turn up!

Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: Nicknack on April 12, 2013, 10:20:04 AM
I'm still getting 'Page not found'!  :'(

Nick
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: DragonArtGlass on April 12, 2013, 10:34:34 AM
I managed to read it less than 10 minutes ago - thanks it's interesting and has certainly given me a diferent perspective on craft fairs.
Now to sort myself and open an etsy shop...., and give myself a kick up the backside to get someting done.
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: TheJanie on April 12, 2013, 10:40:33 AM
Quote from: Nicknack on April 12, 2013, 10:20:04 AM
I'm still getting 'Page not found'!  :'(

You're not alone - I was getting that last night and am still getting it today :/

Edited to add:  Aha!  I added a final / to the end of the URL and now I can see the article :)
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: Zeldazog on April 12, 2013, 10:53:58 AM
Edited the link, should work now
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: nemeton on April 12, 2013, 12:09:05 PM
Thanks for this - it certainly helps to think of fairs as advertising/networking opportunities rather than purely as another selling platform  :)
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: Blue Box Studio on April 12, 2013, 12:23:02 PM
Interesting read.  I mainly do Christmas season fairs because they are the ones I sell best at.  I have formed the opinion over the past few years that those fairs though are not my best option - but getting into anything with jewellery is always an uphill struggle.  I rarely get contact after a fair, am pretty sure my customers don't go on to shop with me online either and the few contacts I do get are invariable someone wanting me to travel 100 miles for a 2 hour fair in a village hall.  I have, however made a lot of friends and often pick up good tips of where to go or avoid (but then back to square one with 'full for jewellery') but, yes, I too have scaled back on those that aren't going to make some kind of return on my investment.  Some of my venues are great for networking but most are sadly not that kind of clientele and mostly a selling platform.  For example, I did a fair 8 miles from home over Easter and told people I was going to be doing North Somerset Arts Week (same county) and offered a flyer to mainly get 'oh we wouldn't travel that far to come and see you'.  Some you win and some you lose.
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: Shades of Colour on April 12, 2013, 12:29:14 PM
Definately a different way of looking at events and also myself when doing these events!!  My biggest struggle is knowing exactly how much to say to people.  The article says 'what do you expect as a customer'.  I know it winds me up as soon as I get to a stall and someone is annoying you so I probably tend to go completely the opposite way when I selling and probably don't say enough.   ???
Title: Re: A different perspective on craft fairs
Post by: nuttybeader on April 13, 2013, 03:29:03 PM
Thanks for that link.  It certainly put a different perspective on attending fairs and made me think about my attitude to them.