Frit-Happens !

Technical Forum => Studio/workspace/setup/equipment => Kilns => Topic started by: Katie on June 26, 2012, 02:28:47 PM

Title: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Katie on June 26, 2012, 02:28:47 PM
Hello!
I'm a very new addict to lamp working and at the studio where I had my lessons they used the little bead things in slow cookers.  So that is what I have been using at home.

My beads are looking nice enough to sell now, but I have read all sorts about kiln annealing being the only way to go. 

Could someone explain to me why that is and what is a good starter kiln if I need one?

Many thanks
Katie (Numpty Beader!)  ::)
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Kalorlo on June 26, 2012, 02:41:33 PM
If you're going to sell your beads, you need to anneal them. Annealing removes the stress in the glass that you put there by working it - cooling gradually in Japanese bubbles or whatever prevents the beads from breaking straight away, but doesn't remove the stress and they are much more likely to crack randomly at some point in the future. (If you want to know about it in more detail, there are posts on here and possibly on the wiki that explain more).

I had some polariscope pictures a while ago: see here http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=25349.0. Unannealed beads have stress lines that show up, annealed ones don't.

Also, if you start making bigger beads, especially big pressed ones, you're going to want to put them straight in a kiln or you'll lose quite a lot to thermal shock even in bubbles.
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Donna@Rockin' Beads on June 26, 2012, 03:19:18 PM
Effetre glass definitely improves in colour in the kiln too.
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Blue Box Studio on June 26, 2012, 03:22:43 PM
Starter kiln - if you are only annealing beads and don't want to play with silver clay, fuse glass etc, then I would suggest a Bead Cube from Kilncare.  Small footprint and light enough to put away if you aren't using it.  They also have larger kilns.  I have a Paragon SC2, thought a friend was going to be using it for fusing but that's never happened and would now, in hindsight have bought a Kilncare kiln.
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: sarah t on June 26, 2012, 03:52:33 PM
the bead cube goes high enough for slumping and clay etc ,its a great litle kiln and the service from kiln care is brilliant ,i am very happy with mine and when thinking about getting a bigger kiln recently decided when i have the £ i would get another cube and just turn cube two on when cube one was full

there is a list of peole willing to batch anneal for you but you will find that as you get better and more adventurous you may start to lose beads through thermal shock
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Katie on June 27, 2012, 07:36:52 AM
Thank you, thank you!  It's such a huge new topic for me.

I shall look into kilns then.

Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: toodlesandbinks on June 27, 2012, 08:35:23 AM
I'm a newbie too and have just purchased the Ace Kiln from Kilncare, and I have to say that I am mega pleased with it.  So far I have just been batching the beads after cooling them in Cooling Bubbles first.  I now feel more confident are 2 or 3 runs to have a big leap forward to start consider garaging with it now.

What area are you in, as it might be a good idea to buy kiln time from somebody as a next step, as it is a big investment.

Also I would say consider carefully what use, other than lampworked beads you might like to eventually move in before you jump in and get one. 

I love my Ace to bits, but now I like the thought of trying ceramic beads as well, but I don't think it would fire hot enough for glazing.
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Zeldazog on June 27, 2012, 09:02:28 AM
Quote from: toodlesandbinks on June 27, 2012, 08:35:23 AM

I love my Ace to bits, but now I like the thought of trying ceramic beads as well, but I don't think it would fire hot enough for glazing.

You can get glazes that fire at all sorts of temperatures, I know we used some at uni that were down at 800 deg C....
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Lotti on June 27, 2012, 09:22:26 AM
Another vote for the Bead Cube, I had one when I first started and just loved it and Kilncare's customer care is second to none, Lee is brilliant and used to any silly questiosn you might have (not suggesting you will, but I did!) :)
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Katie on June 28, 2012, 12:37:54 PM
Thank you for all your comments.  I spent a lovely 2 hours yesterday pondering through frit happens blogs and the net and decided on a Bead Cube from Kilncare.

It had been a toss up between the Paragon SC2 and the Cube but the Cube won out in the end on the basis it's British (so easy to get repaired if necessary), the comments from owners (most were very delighted) and the negative reviews on the Paragon's safety on the net.

I can't wait for it to arrive! I'm fit to pop!
My OH is pleased he doesn't have to think up a birthday present for me now!

Numpty Beader
:D
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Warm Glass UK on June 29, 2012, 09:05:12 AM
What negative reviews on Paragon's safety? Have I missed something? :/
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Katie on July 03, 2012, 10:31:17 AM
Oh I found some reviews through Google which were concerns over the electricity supply, conforming with the UK standards etc and other technical things I didn't really understand as they went into 'Sparky Speak'.

Another site mentioned reliability issues?

I'm sure 99% of them are fine but as I hadn't heard one negative about the Bead Cube I thought I'd take the easy option!

Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Jennie Lamb on July 03, 2012, 12:26:07 PM
I have a bead cube to...I bought it as a 'starter' kiln and it is still with me I love it and it constantly suprises people that I haven't grown out of it as my beads are quite big but I have thought about it now and again.....but I ask myself why and I can't think of a good enough reason so untill it lets me down or I can find a reason it is a fixture in my studio!   I am sure you will love it!
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Katie on July 03, 2012, 03:38:40 PM
Quote from: Jennie Lamb on July 03, 2012, 12:26:07 PM
I have a bead cube to...I bought it as a 'starter' kiln and it is still with me I love it and it constantly suprises people that I haven't grown out of it as my beads are quite big but I have thought about it now and again.....but I ask myself why and I can't think of a good enough reason so untill it lets me down or I can find a reason it is a fixture in my studio!   I am sure you will love it!

Oh that is good news Jennie as mine should arrive any minute!
:D
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: Pat from Canvey on July 03, 2012, 07:31:37 PM
I have a Paragon Sc2 for about 6 years, I think, and never had any problems with it.
Title: Re: What Kiln and do I really need one?
Post by: flame n fuse on July 03, 2012, 09:57:22 PM
Just to say that I've had an SC2 for a year and it has behaved impeccably.