Frit-Happens !

Technical Forum => Studio/workspace/setup/equipment => Kilns => Topic started by: Kimster on June 02, 2012, 06:01:46 PM

Title: Can I use stainless steel rod rest in kiln?
Post by: Kimster on June 02, 2012, 06:01:46 PM
Quick question...these things always seem to arise when the suppliers are shut! I have one of those £5 rod rests...I bought it at Flame Off from either Tuffnells or Off Mandrel..Would it be OK in kiln on either garaging/batch annealing prog? I'm on a roll here! & could do with putting another 20 or so in, just don't want to lie them on top of others if I can avoid it  :-\ Thanks all - aren't 4 day bank holidays fantastic  :D  :D
Title: Re: Can I use stainless steel rod rest in kiln?
Post by: flame n fuse on June 02, 2012, 07:05:23 PM
stainless steel should be OK - that's what mandrels are made of. Have fun!
Title: Re: Can I use stainless steel rod rest in kiln?
Post by: Kimster on June 02, 2012, 07:22:10 PM
Thank you Flame n fuse :) .. just occupied myself making silvered stringers while I waited for a reply! Do you happen to know if I can anneal Lauscha glass at soak temp of 520 c ? I think I read somewhere on the forum it needs a higher temp but I have no idea how to go 'off pre programmed' as it were!
Title: Re: Can I use stainless steel rod rest in kiln?
Post by: Shirley on June 02, 2012, 07:24:29 PM
You should be fine with the stand in the kiln.

Lauscha anneals the same as the other 104 glass - Effetre, Reichenbach and so on. It's common to mix it with other glasses anyway :)
Title: Re: Can I use stainless steel rod rest in kiln?
Post by: Kimster on June 02, 2012, 07:45:59 PM
Thanks Shirley! Just seen some lovely Lauscha Cocoa / copper green beads & would love to give them a go  :)
Title: Re: Can I use stainless steel rod rest in kiln?
Post by: Shirley on June 02, 2012, 07:48:42 PM
One of the classic combos :)
Title: Re: Can I use stainless steel rod rest in kiln?
Post by: Redhotsal on June 02, 2012, 10:00:47 PM
Your rod rest will be fine but just be aware that it will probably go black! My experience with Lauscha is that to anneal it properly you do need to go higher and longer in temperature. I'd always heard that but I don't actually know what the perameters are. I only know that when I annealed Lauscha clear on a 520 Effetre cycle once it didn't appear fully annealed with polarisers.  :-\
Title: Re: Can I use stainless steel rod rest in kiln?
Post by: Kimster on June 02, 2012, 10:41:32 PM
Oh...thanks Sally. I think I'll give it a go on the normal 520 cycle, since  these first efforts are only for me. I'll see if I can find some instructions to do a hotter cycle once I know what I'm doing  ;D
Title: Re: Can I use stainless steel rod rest in kiln?
Post by: Redhotsal on June 03, 2012, 12:12:03 AM
It should be okay - let's face it - a slow ramp down in temperature is going to be better than no ramp down. I've had a look at Heather's website, where she has an annealing schedule. The temperature is a little higher but it would appear that the critical difference between an Effetre anneal and a Lauscha anneal is that the Lauscha seems to require more time: http://lauscha.heatherkellyglass.co.uk/content/annealing-schedule
Title: Re: Can I use stainless steel rod rest in kiln?
Post by: Kimster on June 03, 2012, 08:46:47 AM
Thanks Sally, that's really useful. Looks like I can get away with the normal garaging prog, as long as I make the Lauscha ones first to ensure the longer cooking time  :)