Frit-Happens !

Business / Marketing Advice and Tips => Put all your business tips, advice and questions in here => Topic started by: NRichards on March 26, 2012, 07:15:11 PM

Title: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: NRichards on March 26, 2012, 07:15:11 PM
Hello,

Sorry to bring this up again but I have read through other threads and can't find an answer.... I am taking the plunge and really trying to get my glass work off the ground (I even have a shiny website: www.mylittleglassroom.co.uk)

My question is, do I need to be a registered business to get public liability insurance and if so do I need to have a business address? I am in rented accommodation and currently use the spare room for my glass work, I am not allowed to run a business from the address but as it is a hobby at the moment i guess it's all OK. Having said that, I have some fairs lined up which require the insurance and I am getting myself in a complete pickle!! I can't afford to rent a unit anywhere to get a business address, am I fighting a loosing battle or worrying over nothing...?

Thanks

Naomi
Title: Re: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: Lakelady on March 26, 2012, 07:22:11 PM
No you don't.  I got 5 million public liability for fairs etc with A-N for about £16 for the year - it was instant with a downloadable certificate, which was adequate for the local authority.  If you want something more, then Imber or Wallace (just checked them) will likely be able to help...I just had a half hour conversation with a man at Imber who contradicted himself all over the place, so it's a personal thing whether you would try them at £55 Vs £16!  Hope that helps.
Title: Re: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: NRichards on March 26, 2012, 07:55:09 PM
Thank you. I will have a look and see if I can find their insurance. Thanks again thats made me feel better.
Title: Re: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: ARBeads on March 26, 2012, 08:31:11 PM
You can get the insurance but I understand it is still illegal to trade without clear T&C's (inc return policy etc) and that a trading address should be readily available for all to easily find, a PO box is not acceptable.

That's why Ebay etc insist on all business traders displaying a contact address, I know of at least one case where they were grassed up by someone and now display there (home) address in slightly 'off white' to get round it - clever  ;D

I've also had one organiser check that the address was clearly available  on the stand prior to allowing trading. After discussions they allowed us to carry on as we display web addy/phone and our home address was readily available from our web site.

Title: Re: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: Trudi on March 27, 2012, 07:00:28 AM
Quote from: Lakelady on March 26, 2012, 07:22:11 PM
No you don't.  I got 5 million public liability for fairs etc with A-N for about £16 for the year - it was instant with a downloadable certificate, which was adequate for the local authority.  If you want something more, then Imber or Wallace (just checked them) will likely be able to help...I just had a half hour conversation with a man at Imber who contradicted himself all over the place, so it's a personal thing whether you would try them at £55 Vs £16!  Hope that helps.

I've looked at a-n and from what I can find, the cheapest membership starts at £36, am I looking at The wrong section?
Title: Re: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: Lakelady on March 27, 2012, 08:43:37 AM
Gah!  I am going mad - yes, it's £36 not £16 - still cheaper than the others though!  I must be melting brain cells along with glass...  ::)
Title: Re: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: Trudi on March 27, 2012, 09:40:30 AM
Thanks, just checking I Has looking at The right bit!
Title: Re: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: Lotti on March 27, 2012, 09:45:42 AM
On another note, you have registered as a sole trader with HMRC haven't you?  You probably have but just in case. :)

A-N is good value and they are very helpful but just a note, they won't insure you for any demos (well they will but it will cost you a small fortune).  Good luck with your venture. :)
Title: Re: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: NRichards on March 30, 2012, 08:23:23 AM
Thanks for all your replies. It really is early days for me, going from a hobby to a venture so haven't registered as anything yet.... I will be spending the weekend staring at the computer screen trying to figure it all out, it's a whole new world out there!
Title: Re: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: ruth on April 09, 2012, 02:05:37 PM
Quote from: Lakelady on March 27, 2012, 08:43:37 AM
Gah!  I am going mad - yes, it's £36 not £16 - still cheaper than the others though!  I must be melting brain cells along with glass...  ::)

I am looking for a-n insurence on tinternet but can't find them,do they have another name?

Ruth
Title: Re: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: mizgeorge on April 09, 2012, 02:09:51 PM
http://www.a-n.co.uk/air/topic/437352
Title: Re: Sorry - Public Liability Insurance
Post by: ruth on May 01, 2012, 10:28:50 AM
Quote from: mizgeorge on April 09, 2012, 02:09:51 PM
http://www.a-n.co.uk/air/topic/437352

Thank you George.