Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: geojess on February 01, 2012, 03:42:57 PM

Title: The best turquoise glass
Post by: geojess on February 01, 2012, 03:42:57 PM
Was wondering if anyone could help. I have various versions of effetre transparent turquoise and I love the colour but it scums really easily  :-\ so is a pain to work with, before I go out and buy another brands version can anyone suggest a good one to get.

thank you  :)
Title: Re: The best turquoise glass
Post by: MadelineBunyan on February 01, 2012, 04:20:14 PM
I would avoid CIM pulsar.

I have best luck with thicker rods of the effetre, think its cause theres more of it, and you work with it more gently.

dont think I've tried any other 104 versions.
Title: Re: The best turquoise glass
Post by: awrylemming on February 01, 2012, 04:23:39 PM
I would definitely recommend Lauscha for this, both transparent and opaque turquoises are just excellent.  No scumming or pitting, just lovely clean colours.
Title: Re: The best turquoise glass
Post by: sarah t on February 01, 2012, 04:39:55 PM
the chemicals etc used to get these blues when combined with too much heat and over working causes the scumming and discolouration so you could get the same problem occuring with all makes in that colour range....some are better than others but you have to work them cooler for less time generally speaking ...

Title: Re: The best turquoise glass
Post by: stuwaudby on February 02, 2012, 01:23:12 PM
The colour probably contains a copper salt based pigment, possibly copper sulphate. Too reducing and the copper will get reduced out leaving a brown mark. Too oxidising and the copper sulphate will break down into copper oxide (black) and sulphur dioxide (bubbles).
Title: Re: The best turquoise glass
Post by: Josephine on February 02, 2012, 01:54:34 PM
Definitely avoid pulsar, bought it once, never used it, scums and bubbles horribly. The effetre light aqua is better behaved than the darker.

I must get myself some Laushca. Not this month sadly..car service, Rayburn service and new varifocal glasses (yes I'm getting to that age).
Title: Re: The best turquoise glass
Post by: MadelineBunyan on February 02, 2012, 02:00:33 PM
there must be a market for 'volcanic effect' turquoise beads? no?
Title: Re: The best turquoise glass
Post by: Josephine on February 02, 2012, 02:52:02 PM
I think I'd have had to work pulsar cold to avoid pitting. The moment it went near the flame it bubbled up completely.