Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: Amber on January 26, 2012, 12:54:31 PM

Title: Caribbean Sea
Post by: Amber on January 26, 2012, 12:54:31 PM
I was quite disappointed when I finally got my hands on some caribbean sea, it didn't look the same as the pictures I'd seen  :( Then I was given one rod by my secret santa and it's totally different! Much nicer. The bead on the left is from the rods I bought and the one on the right is from santa.

(http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/Spookyjewel/013-8.jpg)

Anyone else notice a difference between batches?
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: awrylemming on January 26, 2012, 01:43:01 PM
I have bought loads of batches of this glass from various suppliers and it's never looked like the one on the left!  Although I'm not sure I dislike it I am sure that I wouldn't have been happy with that as Caribbean Sea.
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: The Tartan Trout on January 26, 2012, 01:44:26 PM
My current batch is fab. Swirly and perfect in colour. The batch before this kept having brown blotches. I thought I was cooking it, but it appears to be the batch as I did a comparison test. The dark one on the left is still pretty colours.
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: Kalorlo on January 26, 2012, 01:46:49 PM
That's weird: never seen any like the left one. Might be worth contacting your supplier about that. It kinda looks like it has ivory in it or something instead of white!
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: Trudi on January 26, 2012, 01:47:57 PM
I've got a new batch I need to try out .. must give it a whirl
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: jammie on January 26, 2012, 02:05:13 PM
Doesn't look like mine either  ???
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: Lyn G on January 26, 2012, 02:12:51 PM
Haven't tried it.....but the one on the left looks more like the 'North Sea' than the Caribbean!   :D

Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: awrylemming on January 26, 2012, 02:40:47 PM
Quote from: Lyn G on January 26, 2012, 02:12:51 PM
Haven't tried it.....but the one on the left looks more like the 'North Sea' than the Caribbean!   :D



Brilliant Lyn  :D
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: Amber on January 26, 2012, 02:52:33 PM
Quote from: Lyn G on January 26, 2012, 02:12:51 PM
Haven't tried it.....but the one on the left looks more like the 'North Sea' than the Caribbean!   :D



  :D :D

It is kind of nice in it's own way, just not what I was expecting!
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: mizgeorge on January 26, 2012, 02:54:17 PM
I've also had Caribbean Sea from at least 6 different places, both sides of the pond, and none have looked like the first one. Where did you get it from?
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: chipperpottery on January 26, 2012, 03:15:57 PM
It is one of my favourite colours, I have never got that dark green.
This is made from my batch.

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6647103585_bda312b8dd_m.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51048389@N02/6647103585/)
Aqua  Sea (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51048389@N02/6647103585/) by Avalon Beads (http://www.flickr.com/people/51048389@N02/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: Amber on January 26, 2012, 03:27:27 PM
George, it was from Tuffnells.

Here are the rods next to each other;

(http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/Spookyjewel/006-4.jpg)
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: mizgeorge on January 26, 2012, 03:50:28 PM
That just doesn't look right to me. I wonder if there's been a dodgy batch around.
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: chipperpottery on January 26, 2012, 04:35:02 PM
I had mine from the states.
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: Bubblebeads on January 26, 2012, 05:56:17 PM
the core in the first one looks a lot darker then the second one something not right there
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: sea-thistle on January 26, 2012, 06:30:08 PM
I haven't used my lot from the States yet, but they look normal carribean sea to me. Those two rods don't look the same at all?? ???
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: helenfc on January 26, 2012, 06:34:20 PM
Hmm, I have a batch fromtuffers and a couple of rods from Frantz, I will do a wee comparison in the studio tomorrow, and let you know xx
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: CindiDee on January 26, 2012, 06:36:06 PM
I think I have the same batch as you Amber - certainly looks like the same rod with a very dark green core. I hadn't actually tried it but after I saw your post, I made a test bead which is in the kiln as we speak - I'll see how it turns out and let you know - it seemed really dark when I was working with it though. Mine was from Tuffnells too  :(
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: Dragonfire Glass on January 26, 2012, 08:16:00 PM
Haven't any - must look it out  ;D
Title: Re: Caribbean Sea
Post by: Purple Cobwebs on February 05, 2012, 10:41:59 AM
My recent batch from Tuffnels is quite dark.

(http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/purple_cobwebs/Oceansparkles.jpg)