Hi all,
I've been trying to sort out insurance that will cover me for demonstrating outside the studio, right now I have AIR artists insurance which doesn't cover for use of heat/flame on 3rd party premises. I've just checked out the Guild of Jewellery Designers (mentioned below) but that specifically excludes 'any use of any process involving the application of heat on 3rd party premises'. Does that just leave Wallace craft insurance?
I'd be really grateful if anybody who demos outside their studio could tell me who they're with!
Maggie
I'm with Air ... oops!
I'm interested to see what others say.
Yep Julie,
I've been blithley demoing at open air craft fairs last summer with AIR Insurance. Only recently read the exclusions....mainly no use of heat or flame (apart from kiln) at any 3rd party premises. At least there were no mishaps or I would have been in trouble!
Now I've got big arts centre demo and want to know I'm covered.
I've seen your demo set up photos ...great perspex screen..got to get one of those made!
Any other demonstrators out there?
Maggie
Colette and I have Ian Wallace for our insurance, and that includes the demoing for no extra charge.
Hi Shirley,
have looked at their application form today, did you specifically mention using torch in public? That seems to be the big issue seems you have to draw their attention to. How does that affect their price?.... already much more than AIR.
Maggie
Colette deals with our Fyrebirds insurance, so she'll probably see this thread and comment later, but I think we started with the basic insurance and then phoned them later to let them know about the demoing. I don't think it affected the cost.
I did used to be with Ian Wallace and I really liked how easy it was to ring up and talk through a situation to make sure it was covered. I went over to a-n purely because it was so much cheaper ... ah well, just answered my own question there ;D
There is also the issue with IW of not insuring sales out of the UK! I know Sue managed to pursuade them but someone recently on a post I put up about my insurance woes said that IW had said that they won't insure sales to the ROW! I asked AIR abuot demo insurance and needed a lie down afterwards!
not sure what the issue is with selling to the rest of the world ..... is it loss in the post ? i would have thought that issue could be covered by postal insurence ?
or is it the stupid people in the 'rest of the world' eating beads or something ?.... isnt that covered in your selling policies /disclaimers etc ?..or are they not worth the paper they are written on ?
confused ???
Shirley's right, we started with the basic insurance & let them know when we started demoing and also teaching. The premium stayed the same.
Quote from: sarah t on January 24, 2012, 07:24:14 PM
not sure what the issue is with selling to the rest of the world ..... is it loss in the post ? i would have thought that issue could be covered by postal insurence ?
or is it the stupid people in the 'rest of the world' eating beads or something ?.... isnt that covered in your selling policies /disclaimers etc ?..or are they not worth the paper they are written on ?
confused ???
I think its the product liability cover, Sarah. Must admit though, I just carry on regardless.
Thanks guys,
Colette and Shirley I'll get onto Ian Wallace now, Lorri sounds like AIR gave you a horrendous quote! :o
Better safe than sorry, eh?
Maggie
We use Ian Wallace here, just make sure you list everything you do on your application.
I've been with Ian Wallace since 2008 and it covers all my demoing & teaching at the studio and at 3rd party venues. It also covers that and my products within Europe, which I'm fine with as there's only so far you can go with protecting the numpties out in the world! I don't design deadly killer rabbits.....oh hang on!
Also as a side note, I also have the contents insurance of the studio with this policy and was the best business quote for kilns etc that I could get!
Quote from: Flyingcheesetoastie on January 25, 2012, 12:31:24 AM
I've been with Ian Wallace since 2008 and it covers all my demoing & teaching at the studio and at 3rd party venues. It also covers that and my products within Europe, which I'm fine with as there's only so far you can go with protecting the numpties out in the world! I don't design deadly killer rabbits.....oh hang on!
:o :o ;D ;D ;D
I seem to recall on another thread about putting something in your policies on Etsy about selling under UK laws and then (hopefully) if you did have a problem with the ROW (there are some countries out there where folks will try to claim off you for the smallest thing, you have surely heard some of the stories which I won't repeat as they are horrible and quite stupid), then you would be safe? ? ? If anyone has a converstaion about thsi with IW I would be intersted in the response. I wanted to do demoiing this year but as AIR won't cover me I am not going to do it (I can't cope with the faff of changing it now and the market wanted proof I was insured and I can't man my stall and demo at the same time). :)
Just off phone with Ian Wallace, fully insured to demo anywhere! More expensive than AIR (£104 with studio equipmment cover) but at least I can work without the worry of something going wrong!
And I still have AIR insurance in place too...... overkill? Time to cancel that now, no wonder I've no time to make beads! ::)
Thanks for advice!
I've started another thread about this - but basically you need wording which says that all sales are made under UK law (disclaimer - although I'm more than happy for anyone to use the wording from my website you need to make sure it is suitable for you)
I had to ring Ian Wallace this morning about stock cover for a new shop - and it's obvious they're well used to being asked about sales to the USA. I wanted to check as I was 99% sure we'd had this conversation and I was covered so I was a bit concerened when I started reading that people weren't covered now.
Does anyone just use the insurance which comes with Guild of Jewellery Designers gold? I'm just about to reinsure and would appreciate some ideas, you all seem to be going with Wallace.
Jeannie x