Frit-Happens !

Fusing and Stained Glass Tips and FAQ's => Fusing Tips and FAQ's => Topic started by: Bluebell on January 12, 2012, 07:14:04 PM

Title: What type of grinder?
Post by: Bluebell on January 12, 2012, 07:14:04 PM
Hi
I was reading the last topic from Sandera about the lap grinder and it's got me thinking.  I've been considering buying a grinder for some time now so that I can grind off unwanted bits on fused cabs and give pieces flat/straight lines. 

I don't glue, so all my cabs have fine silver loops sandwiched, but as many of you may have experienced, sometimes there's a bit of a wobble in the kiln and the loop is no longer centred.  In a lot of cases with mine I could do a bit of fixing/re-shaping if I could only grind off a bit here and there (and a quick fire-polish) and I wouldn't have so much wastage.

I've never used a grinder and not sure if I'm looking at the right ones (I've only really looked at the Inland Kristall 1S & 2000S).  Perhaps a lap grinder would be more useful but I don't know too much about them either.  Please excuse my ignorance, but I've no-one to ask locally to find out either.

Obviously I'd like to make the right investment (but not spend a fortune!), so which type do you think would be more suitable?  Any info will be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks folks!
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: mizgeorge on January 12, 2012, 08:23:33 PM
I'm not an expert with fused stuff, but I can very highly recommend the Inland swap top system, which would give you both a grinder and flat lap. You can buy individual components or get the all in wonder version which also includes a saw. I've been delighted with mine, and it's a great price IMO.
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: Zeldazog on January 12, 2012, 08:29:59 PM
Id second what George says, I too have the swaptop system, I've got the lap disks and the grinder bits.

I do find with the grinder top on, the edges tend to get a bit scruffy, where as the lap disks generally give a better finish, but that could be due to what grades I am using with each.

I sometimes have to use the drum grinder bits if I am doing a larger piece, if its too big to fit on the lap disk, but that's not going to be a problem with cabs - unfortunately I can't get a 35cm panel in the swaptop lap disk!  (Hence why I am getting a linisher.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D)
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: Bluebell on January 12, 2012, 09:24:52 PM
Thanks Guys

The problem is, I really don't know what these machines do best....i.e. what exactly is a "flat lap"???   I'm imagining that it is a flat disc on a spindle that spins and you hold your piece against it???  Is there water involved???  am I on the right track?  Is there limitations with the Inland Kristall?

Perhaps too many questions.....do you know where I can read about these machines so I have an idea of how they work and what they can do to help me?
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: Moreton on January 13, 2012, 12:44:02 PM
Hi Bluebell. As George & Dawn say the Inland Swop Top is an excellent machine that is Flat Lap, Diamond Saw & Diamond Grinder all running of one motor and water system. I have the 6" version & to convert to 8" you only need the larger disks and carry plate.

Have a look here
http://www.inlandcraft.com/howto/lapmachine/GlassFlatLapHTU.pdf
Click on the pdf file and all is explained.

As far as I know Inland are the only company to combine all those tools in one machine. The alternative is to purchase, Flat Lap, Saw & Grinder seperately, Expensive but you get what you pay for which in this case is larger machiners and better productivity as each machine is a stand alone set up.

The main problem with the Inland Swop Top (and their other machines) is that the lap disks are fixed with a protruding collar that prevents using the centre so you only have the outer area available. This limits the working area to cabs and items about 2" wide though it is possible to run longer pieces through.

The more expensive machines from Glastar use magnetised disks so you can use the whole area but the pricing is in £1000s not £100s.

Were are you? If you can visit Warm Glass near Bristol or Tempsfords in Bedfordshire they will demo the machines without obligation to purchase.
Pete p.s. I have made my own flat lap to finish larger pieces without the centre bolt. A bit Heath Robinson but it was very cheap from a washing machine motor and a milk crate. Only the disks had to be bought  :o
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: chipperpottery on January 13, 2012, 12:55:56 PM
I am a novice to grinding cabs, but I used Georges and it was wonderful, so smooth and flat.
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: kathsd on January 13, 2012, 02:15:41 PM
Hmmm interesting topic, it answers some of the questions I've been mulling over, so thanks for asking them.
kath
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: Sandera on January 18, 2012, 07:53:10 PM
The main problem with the Inland Swop Top (and their other machines) is that the lap disks are fixed with a protruding collar that prevents using the centre so you only have the outer area available. This limits the working area to cabs and items about 2" wide though it is possible to run longer pieces through.

The more expensive machines from Glastar use magnetised disks so you can use the whole area but the pricing is in £1000s not £100s.

P.s. I have made my own flat lap to finish larger pieces without the centre bolt. A bit Heath Robinson but it was very cheap from a washing machine motor and a milk crate. Only the disks had to be bought  :o
[/quote]
Wow - you're clever! Do you need an engineering degree to make one or is it within the bounds of possibilities for a novice to knock one up? I would happily pay you for a step by step tutorial. I've been prevaricating about what to buy: I will be working bigger than cab size but I don't want to fork out £1000s for a 12" flat grinder.
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: Moreton on January 18, 2012, 08:20:48 PM
Well that's flattery indeed. No Engineering degree but imagination and ingenuity. No cash certainly gets the ideas flowing.

If my next idea works out I'll let you all into the secret.

Pete
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: Sandera on January 18, 2012, 08:26:40 PM
Quote from: Moreton on January 18, 2012, 08:20:48 PM
Well that's flattery indeed. No Engineering degree but imagination and ingenuity. No cash certainly gets the ideas flowing.

If my next idea works out I'll let you all into the secret.

Pete
Can't wait! :)
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: MeadMoon on August 15, 2013, 09:46:46 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I've just bought an Inland Kristall 2000S and wondered what others are using as coolant for adding to the water in the reservoir and as lubricant for the drive shaft before fitting the grinding bit as recommended in the leaflet that comes with the grinder.

The leaflet says to use Inland Diamond Coolant and Inland Motor Shaft Lubricant, but I can't find a supplier in the UK and have not found anything that looks similar on the Warm Glass (or other) website.

BTW, I looked for the SwapTop but, again, could not find a UK supplier and suspect that it is beyond my budget anyway.
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on August 15, 2013, 10:34:27 AM
Washing up liquid and vaseline :)
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: MeadMoon on August 15, 2013, 04:55:36 PM
Really?  That simple?  I'm off to the supermarket then.  Thank you Tan!
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: Sandera on August 15, 2013, 06:42:03 PM
Quote from: Sandera on January 18, 2012, 08:26:40 PM
Quote from: Moreton on January 18, 2012, 08:20:48 PM
Well that's flattery indeed. No Engineering degree but imagination and ingenuity. No cash certainly gets the ideas flowing.

If my next idea works out I'll let you all into the secret.

Pete
Can't wait! :)

Speaking of which - did you ever get this off the ground Pete? It just happens that I'm looking at this again! Oh and I can't get the inland Swap Top :-(
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: Zeldazog on August 15, 2013, 07:09:43 PM
Quote from: MeadMoon on August 15, 2013, 04:55:36 PM
Really?  That simple?  I'm off to the supermarket then.  Thank you Tan!

Creative Glass Shop sell coolant, two sizes

http://www.creativeglassshop.co.uk/product/31185/coolant-lubricant-250ml.html
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: Nick on August 15, 2013, 08:23:56 PM
I use the inland machine and It's great. It uses 6 or 8 inch discs in the same machine so I bought the 6 inch version then bought extra 8 inch discs. If you can get to the rock and gem shows some of the lapidary guys do the discs at a very good price especially at the Cheltenham show. (I think it's the Bristol Lapidary Society) and I think they can post items to you?
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: Sandera on August 15, 2013, 09:17:54 PM
Quote from: Nick on August 15, 2013, 08:23:56 PM
I use the inland machine and It's great. It uses 6 or 8 inch discs in the same machine so I bought the 6 inch version then bought extra 8 inch discs. If you can get to the rock and gem shows some of the lapidary guys do the discs at a very good price especially at the Cheltenham show. (I think it's the Bristol Lapidary Society) and I think they can post items to you?
Can you still buy the machines? The last time I tried I couldn't get one....
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: MeadMoon on August 16, 2013, 08:27:39 AM
No, I couldn't find an Inland SwapTop in the UK either, although some of the accessories are available.

Thank you, Dawn, for the pointer to Creative Glass for the coolant.
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: Moira HFG on August 16, 2013, 08:41:56 PM
I spent a long time trying to find a Swaptop last winter. Apparently they've been discontinued, due to repeated motor faults as water gets in. (Search for 'swaptop' on the forum to read the whole saga).

If you come across a second-hand one, as I did, it's worth having as you can still get discs and accessories easily.

It's such a clever piece of kit - you get a diamond saw, flat lap and bobbin grinder in one compact piece of machinery: cheap and space-saving. I'm amazed that Inland or some other company hasn't sorted out what is basically a small design problem, and re-issued it.

Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on August 16, 2013, 08:59:27 PM
Quote from: MeadMoon on August 15, 2013, 04:55:36 PM
Really?  That simple?  I'm off to the supermarket then.  Thank you Tan!

Elaine it is as simple as that, I had the same head in my grinder for years before I needed to change it and it was used fairly regularly. I cleaned it after each use and added fresh water with a couple of drops of washing up liquid and have never had a problem
Title: Re: What type of grinder?
Post by: MeadMoon on August 17, 2013, 04:47:11 PM
Thank you again Tan.  I have invested in some Vaseline and cheap washing up liquid.