Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: Kalorlo on November 27, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Title: My creamsicle is yellow! *updated again*
Post by: Kalorlo on November 27, 2011, 09:14:01 PM
I've been meaning to get some for ages, since I have about a quarter of a skinny rod I've been saving from my original sample pack. I love creamsicle's creamy orangeness. The stuff I just got from Tuffnell's looks more like pumpkin. I was hoping it'd strike when I made a bead from it, but it's exactly the same as the rod colour.

Has it changed recently? What I have now is the same as one of the other yellows I've got plenty of >:(

ETA: An update! (http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=33719.msg555326#msg555326)

And another update: replacement arrived, all well! Test of that and the CiM limited edition reds at http://kalorlo.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/cim-reds-and-creamsicle-update/
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: squirsygirl on November 27, 2011, 09:20:17 PM

mine's a glorious sunny yellow too - from Frantz.

Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: SilverGems89 on November 27, 2011, 09:28:02 PM
thats pants! glad i didn't order any now because i have heaps of pumpkin!
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: MadelineBunyan on November 27, 2011, 09:42:29 PM
yeah something changed quite a while back, the new stuff is boring. dont like it.
it was great when it was creamy and yummy. more like pastel yellow, but somehow creamier.
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: Enchanted Cobwebs on November 28, 2011, 06:49:20 AM
I bought it because of a thread on here ages ago saying how lovely and creamy it was. Been on my maybe list for ages and just had some. But 'tis yellow and no mistake...looks just the same as the other 2 yellows I dont seem to be able to get inspired about! Least its not an expensive one!
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: ScarletLeonard on November 28, 2011, 07:36:51 AM
I bought some at flame off and that was yellow too. 
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: Kalorlo on November 29, 2011, 10:38:13 AM
Witness my disgruntlement!  ;)

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7025/6421836179_bda7441e47.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalorlo/6421836179/)

Creamsicle's pretty much the same as med lemon yellow now. Is there anything else that is that sort of warm orange? Or anything like the old pastel yellow? That's another one where I had one rod, loved it, and the current version is yellower. Pastel yellow's still my favourite yellow as it's a bit warmer, but it isn't mango orange anymore.
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: Kaz on November 29, 2011, 10:43:24 AM
It's really horrible - more like creamsickly! and now there's no proper comparable colour as the 418 has gone all pale and uninteresting too. A lot of my murrini have creamsickle in them so I'll have to conserve the little I have left!
Kazx
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: awrylemming on November 29, 2011, 10:44:34 AM
I'd email 'em at CIM if I were you.  I feel the same about it, and they're very approachable, so perhaps they'll take it on board (hate that phrase) and do something about it?  If you're in desperate need though Heather, I could let a rod go of my old creamsicle stash  :-*  I have been using Reichenbach Opal Orange in replacement for the creamsicle, it's very similar in colour, but without the creamy streakiness.  I've been considering mixing it up with some ivory though ...
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: MadelineBunyan on November 29, 2011, 10:44:54 AM
they've changed pastel yellow as well?

argh!

I still have some of the old batches of both, and a newer (think I got it a bit before FO)

I thought CIM were all about consistency, and anything that wasnt was a unique or LTD run...

perhaps there was a factory mix up like with the tuxedo and charcoal?

are there any of the tester blogger type peeps that may know more about what happened? or go direct to CIM lady herself?
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: Kalorlo on November 29, 2011, 12:18:29 PM
I'll email Kathy and see - will at least ask her to update the colour page!

I'm wondering if the change in both had anything to do with the change in ingredients - I seem to recall there was difficulty getting some rare earths, or suppliers changed, or something.  ???

I wouldn't be surprised if pastel yellow was like coral and tended to vary anyway, but yeah, we expect consistency from the CiM colours, or at least notification that they've changed.
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: Kalorlo on November 29, 2011, 12:26:02 PM
Sue: I'll put the opal orange on me list.  ;D

I don't desperately need the colour for anything, I just wanted to be able to use it now and then! Might have to play around with my P&T tulip: it can strike to a colour that's a bit like the old pastel yellow, at least. I may also ask Lauscha at some point if any of their oranges fit the bill.
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow!
Post by: Kalorlo on December 09, 2011, 12:24:19 AM
I have a reply from Kathy! Good news!

Well you busted me on a color I should've probably called a Unique or Ltd Run. I had some complaints here in the States too.

The oranges have been difficult for me to teach our team how to categorize. It has become apparent to me that the Chinese see orange in a very different way. Also their torches strike the color a bit darker, and pressing a paddle makes it darker, which made me think it was okay to pass.

At first we managed to separate between "too yellow" Creamsicle [Unique -2] and "too orange" Creamsicle [Unique -1]. But I still had complaints after that. So I finally figured out how to get the Creamsicle that people want in terms of color and opaqueness. I have a handle on it now (I'm pretty sure). And I'm calling each separate pot of mismelts a Ltd Run. I attached a photo for you- only the bead on the left can properly be called Creamsicle. I suspect you have the batch from beads 3-4 which is quite yellow in rod form but struck darker (though from your blog it doesn't appear to strike darker).


She also offered to send me some of the creamsicle she thinks I'm after.  :-*
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow! *updated again*
Post by: Kalorlo on February 08, 2012, 04:31:10 PM
I got the replacement creamsicle and all is well! Post on my blog with a piccie plus testing of the limited edition reds: http://kalorlo.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/cim-reds-and-creamsicle-update/

(I will add a photo in my usual lighting: I was trying to avoid the opaques showing up brown and photographed in overcast daylight, but here they aren't showing the full colour variation instead!)
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow! *updated again*
Post by: Trudi on February 08, 2012, 05:59:48 PM
I have to say I've always been impressed with The service from Kathy x
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow! *updated again*
Post by: Madam Steph on February 08, 2012, 08:00:01 PM
Did Kathy give any indication when the original Creamsicle will be available to Uk please, Heather?

(Or in fact Maraschino)

Linda x
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow! *updated again*
Post by: Kalorlo on February 09, 2012, 09:04:56 AM
No - I think with the creamsicle it depends when Martin restocks.

I don't know when the new limited eds go on sale either.
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow! *updated again*
Post by: Madam Steph on February 09, 2012, 09:50:54 AM
Thanks, Heather.

I might have to go the way of a Franz order. I still never got any of the CIM Mint Lozenge either  :(#

Linda x
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow! *updated again*
Post by: Trudi on February 09, 2012, 01:05:28 PM
Try howaco glass, her shipping is reasonable. And she refunds any excess shipping costs charged after she ships your order x
Title: Re: My creamsicle is yellow! *updated again*
Post by: Madam Steph on February 09, 2012, 04:29:14 PM
Thanks, Trudi.
I haven't come across that supplier yet.
I'll go take a look

Linda x