Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: TracyJayne on November 20, 2011, 09:05:12 PM

Title: What am I doing wrong with clio?
Post by: TracyJayne on November 20, 2011, 09:05:12 PM
I searched, I read the answers, I tried various pinks underneath it, but I am getting blues and greens from my clio, where are the pinks?  I tried not marvering, no luck, so I tried marvering, no luck then either!  They are lovely blues and greens, some MOP too, and they really are lovely, but no pinks!  Tried it over dk ivory, got green.  Tried rubino oro, got green, thought I'll try it over green and see if I can intensify the green then, got blue and green, lol.

Any ideas, anyone?  ???
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong with clio?
Post by: Sywenn on November 20, 2011, 09:15:08 PM
A tip I had was to use a base such as Effetre transparent orange and then encase it before putting the clio on. If you don't encase it, you get the blue colours. It worked reasonably well for me, so I am slowly trying it all with different bases.  ;D
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong with clio?
Post by: Shirley on November 20, 2011, 09:19:07 PM
orange base - i use clockwork. Encase with clear, very carefully as any orange that isn't covered will react to make an icky grey when it hits the clio. The encase with clio. Reduce. The amount of reduction will affect how much blue comes out, so play until you get the effect you want. Then encase with clear again, melting the clear slowly.

Some people use white under the orange.

Have fun :)
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong with clio?
Post by: Fruddy on November 20, 2011, 09:51:20 PM
To be honest, I have found some of the best results with Clio are by using it straight onto the mandrel and not layering it onto anything at all, merely encasing with clear.

I have also found that it doesn't like over-reduction - I get the sort of pinks in the photo below with just a few waves quite far back in the flame (I up my propane to reduce) and then encase straight away in clear.

(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/Fruddster/IMGP1069.jpg)
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong with clio?
Post by: Trudi on November 20, 2011, 09:58:48 PM
All those tips are good. All I would add is, as you melt in your top layer of clear, as the bead gets hot take it out of the flame to let it cool ... then return to melt in. If it gets too hot it can over strike .... clio both reduces and strikes.

Hope that helps x
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong with clio?
Post by: TracyJayne on November 21, 2011, 04:36:34 PM
Thanks for the replies, will have another go next time I make it out to the shedio and report back!  :D