Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: Ciel on November 19, 2011, 08:11:38 PM

Title: When white's not quite white
Post by: Ciel on November 19, 2011, 08:11:38 PM
I've been organising my glass and have discovered what seems to be 3 different white glass types, one is marked as soft white effetre which has a slight opal effect to it, another marked as effetre white and another batch that has no label, but does have the rough texture of dark ivory to the touch, seems to spread a bit  when melted as dots and ends up with a pale brown band on the rod after it's been in the heat.

Any idea what this unmarked glass could be as I'm at a loss?
Title: Re: When white's not quite white
Post by: Kalorlo on November 19, 2011, 08:20:10 PM
The soft white is anise. Not a clue about the last one! Unless it's tongue pink/striking terracotta? Some of that was given away free by Martin one month with orders. It can be a bit tricky to strike on its own so can stay whitish.
Title: Re: When white's not quite white
Post by: Blue Box Studio on November 19, 2011, 08:21:04 PM
Not that I'm an expert but it's not tongue pink or whatever they called it?  I think I might have had some from Martin, having said he sent me white and mixing it in with my whites  ::)
Title: Re: When white's not quite white
Post by: SRJ on November 19, 2011, 08:23:30 PM
Ahhhh.... so that's what it is!

Sue
Title: Re: When white's not quite white
Post by: Ciel on November 19, 2011, 08:58:41 PM
Ah - I'll have a play at striking it to see what happens :)
Title: Re: When white's not quite white
Post by: Lush! on November 19, 2011, 11:06:51 PM
Yep, I agree. Sounds like you've got Effetre white 204, Effetre anice white 208 and Effetre Striking Terracotta (official name Tongue Pink).

;D
Title: Re: When white's not quite white
Post by: SRJ on November 20, 2011, 10:15:41 AM
That'll be why it went a pinkish colour when I used it!   Now I know what it's a striking colour I can give it a 'proper' try.......
Title: Re: When white's not quite white
Post by: helbels on November 20, 2011, 02:52:49 PM
It could also be Opal Rose, which is a soft white in the rod but strikes to a lovely bubblegum pink